Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Best option for new path/drive?

The Medway Handyman wrote:
A.Lee wrote:
Richard wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice on a choice of construction
technique for a drive I want to put in...
I'm trying to determine the cheapest option which will meet my
criteria, and need to work out approx costs for both a DIY and a
contractor solution, as I'm not sure if I'll have the time myself for
this particular job. The actual area, if I allow a 2m wide strip and
a rectangle of 3x3.5m2 to turn on will be about 66m2.

A quick calculation shows around 200 450mm square slabs needed, so the
slabs would be ~£325. Add in 3 tonnes of sand(£110), 10 bags of
cement(£35), and a skip (£110), and total materials cost is roughly
£600.
I could do that in 3 days, add another £300 for labour, so around £900
if you pay someone, though I am dead cheap, so you'd probably pay more
labour cost than that.

You are far too cheap mate. Put your prices up.

I could if I had any work, but it has been dead since Christmas.
Things are picking up for this week, as I put an ad in the local paper
last week, and have got a few contacts through that - 1 looks promising,
a property developer who I met this afternoon at one of his houses, a
decent chap who was doing good quality work.

I gave a price today, - cut down 3 kitchen worktops to fit, join up 1,
and cut the kickboards to size. I thought 3 - 4 hours, so £50. the bloke
thought that was too much. FFS, he'd moan if I didnt cut them square,
yet the moaning bugger didnt want to pay.

I hinted at my day on Saturday in another post.I'd got a call at 7pm on
Friday, would I do a few hours work on Sat. OK I say. Then I was
questioned on my skills. "Could I make a wooden box to box in some
pipes, and secure some kitchen cabinets?"
Yes, no problem. This was a bloke who had supposedly refurbished a house
for a landlord, so I assumed he knew what he was doing.

I got there, and knew right away I was dealing with total amateurs, who
had no clue at all. I nearly turned round and went home, but I kept
calm. The 3, attached,wall cabinets were hanging off, held by 1 screw in
the middle. All the other screws were pulled out. Which wasnt a surprise
when No.6 2" long screws had been used to secure them.
I drilled some new holes, and secured them with big door frame fixings.

Then the 'boxing in pipes' was actually box in the water meter, 2 stop
cocks, and the pipe up to worktop level. Luckily, I had got a hint that
they werent clued up when I got the call, so I had filled my van with
odd bits of wood I had in my garage.
Started on that, then kept being interrupted. "Can I borrow your drill
as ours has gone flat". Will you come and have a look at this, as we
cant do it etc etc.

I got to just about finish the box, when the landlord came in. He
started moaning that the box was to go to the ceiling. It was at this
point that I nearly went mad. Luckily he saw sense, and let me carry on
to the height that looked best.

Then they said, could I have a look at various electric appliances. the
PIR light I posted about, where the live was connected to the earth, and
they knew it, as the woman had got a shock from it.
Then they needed to borrow more kit. And screws.And a brush for sweeping
up their mess. It went on and on.
I did get the option of taking home the 2 pieces of 2x1 pine, 3 feet
long, and the piece of hardboard, 1 feet by 3 feet. this is the wood
which he had brought along to make a box for the piping. I didnt accept!

They had supposedly paid a sparkie to go through the house to rewire.
There were no new wires downstairs, but a new consumer unit was in
place, but poorly laid out - space for 10+ MCB, but only 5 in use.

The kitchen had all of its old tiles pulled off, but then only half of
it had been retiled. The rest of it had been emulsioned on top of all
the old bits of tile cement, and craters pulled out by the tiles. The
new tiles were not in line, so could be thought of as a slight zig-zag
effect. Rough is too nice a word for this standard of work.
2 pieces of skirting had been put in.No mitre at the join, so the corner
of one stuck right out.
It went on throughout the house, with bodges and poor work everywhere.
I got paid my pittance, but I felt sick at having to work in such a crap
environment.

The upside of it is though, the landlord saw what I had done, was
obviously pleased with it, took me aside, and asked for my number. I'm
going back there to fit a shower on Thursday.

It make me wonder what I am doing wrong, as these 2 numpties had
obviously made a living 'doing up' this house for the last 2 months,
doing some really bad work, yet I do a bloody good job, and struggle for
work.

Mind, if the chap I spoke to this PM gets back to me, as he said he
would, things may be a bit better - he says they only do the best, and
do not cut corners - the house I met him at was being handed over
tomorrow, and he was just doing the finishing touches, ready for the
carpet fitters tomorrow.

Alan.