Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Osborne Dave Osborne is offline

Default Best option for new path/drive?

Richard wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice on a choice of construction
technique for a drive I want to put in. I currently have a rear access
to my property consisting of an passageway approx 2.5-3m wide and 30m
long. However it has a right angle turn half way along with a
rectangle about 3x3.5m for turning - very tight I know, but I am happy
that I can get a smart car round there easily, and that's all I want
it for - besides everyday foot/bike/pram traffic. The path is
currently mud/grass, and that drags all the muck around onto my new
patio hence the need for a change. Also if I did get a smart car this
would soon churn this up, especially as it gets very muddy in the wet.

I'm trying to determine the cheapest option which will meet my
criteria, and need to work out approx costs for both a DIY and a
contractor solution, as I'm not sure if I'll have the time myself for
this particular job. The actual area, if I allow a 2m wide strip and a
rectangle of 3x3.5m2 to turn on will be about 66m2.

My thoughts turn to a type 1 base (not sure how deep yet - any ideas)
with chippings (again ideas for which grade welcomed) on top and one
of those plastic honeycombs over the type 1 in the turning area to
prevent movement of chippings over time. Although I'm not convinced by
the idea, I've been told to just use weedkiller to stop vegatation
growing through and looking messy - I was swaying towards a
landscaping sheet, although for this area that could prove pricy?

However, if there is a different option which would be cheaper, I'd be
glad to know about it. I really need to keep the costs down on this
one, so if any of you guys have an idea of ballpark figures for this
type of job (all in for both DIY and contractor approaches) I'd be
grateful to know. Also, any advice on best type of contractor for this
type of job, so I can look on tinternet and yellow pages?

Many Thanks,
Richard.

www.pavingexpert.com