Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Steve IA[_2_] Steve IA[_2_] is offline

Default Lost Electricity

Neon John wrote:
..

The Kill-A-Watt is probably the least expensive tool with adequate accuracy there is
for measuring actual consumption. It can be used to measure branch circuits and is
what I used before I bought my clamp-on wattmeter.

The procedure involves a Jesus cord (male convenience plug on one end of the cord and
alligator clips on the other.

Plug the KAW into an outlet or extension cord. Remove the breaker panel cover. Flip
the breaker of the branch of interest off. Connect the black alligator clip of the
Jesus cord to the breaker output screw. (optional) clip the white alligator clip to
the neutral bus. Plug the Jesus cord into the KAW. The branch is now powered
through the KAW and the KAW displays the vital info.

This does not work for 240 volt branches, of course. You'd need a 240 volt KAW or
better, the clamp-on wattmeter.

Thanks for the detailed instructions on this.

--
Steve
southiowa

weltschmerz
Pronunciation: 'velt-"shmerts
Function: noun

: mental depression or apathy caused by comparison of the actual state
of the world with an ideal state