Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Steve IA[_2_] Steve IA[_2_] is offline

Default Lost Electricity

wrote:
Every electric bill I have ever gotten clearly states if it's an
estimate or actual reading. My company places a code in front of the
amount. I think mine uses EST as estimate and ACT as actual.

By chance, when the main wires fell, I assume you were still connected
to the transformer (in other words the primary wires fell). Could
someone have connected a generator to one of the houses connected to
the transformer, which backfed to other houses?

We happen to be on a forked dead end of the power line. The wires broke
with 4 houses connected to each other via the lines, but not to outside
power. Our transformer is on the pole behind the house and lines are on
the pole and underground from the xformer to the house.
AFAIK all 4 houses had generators, but I don't know how the other 3 were
hooked up. Ours didn't go near the circuit box or meter.
If someone did connect to the lines which energized to backfeed to our
house wouldn't our house power have been restored by their generator? I
don't understand how a backfeed could affect our meter without providing
power.
Thanks for you thoughts.

Steve
southiowa