Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
CJT CJT is offline

Default Lost Electricity

Neon John wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:39:45 -0600, Steve IA wrote:

Talked to a couple more neighbors and their December bill was also
higher than expected. I will verify with the REC that these readings
were not estimated. The clerk who I spoke to may not know the whole
story.
Thanks

Most likely. I KNOW that my co-op's receptionist and general purpose customer
answer-girl tells customers that they don't estimate. I KNOW equally well (because
I'm friends with the meter department supervisor) that they do.

One other thing that you might want to do is find out the number of degree-days for
that month and the previous month(s). Absent any major change in configuration (new
major appliance, for example), electricity usage for a given customer tracks
remarkably well with degree-days. This holds even for houses where the primary heat
source isn't electricity. Not sure why but that is what the statistics show.

If the degree-days are much lower for the month in question then you can be pretty

I think you mean higher rather than lower. Degree days are measured as
delta from a base temperature.

sure that you used more energy.

I'm still betting on estimated readings and the one in question being a "catch up".

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com