Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
CJT CJT is offline

Default Lost Electricity

ransley wrote:
snip

Get a clamp on amp meter that goes to 0,01 amp, not found a stores but
electric supply houses, a 35$ Greenlee is good. Clamp on each circut
on your panel to check consumption and compare it to what is plugged
in by their watt ratings, then check with everything off, then
unplugged. You might find a direct short to ground. When you are done
you will know what everything uses in power and standby and know what
to change. Dec is maybe the darkest month so you of course use more
electricty to light you home turning lights on earlier and off later.
Your boiler or furnace runs more consuming more electricity. Try CFLs
and unlugging things not used, most everything takes standby power
and wastes electricity not even being used, even you garage door can
be put on a switch. I found my sprinkler system timer was costing me
1$ a month over the winter being left plugged in. 680 kwh is alot, im
down to 200-275 or so

amps can be deceptive due to power factor