Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default Lost Electricity

"Steve IA" wrote in message
I first noticed that the snow had melted where the 2 cords joined, but
didn't think much of it as it was before I had gotten the bill. The
junction was in the clear then so any leakage could have been transient.
Besides, this cord is on a timer and only runs 2 hours a day to power a
block heater on the school bus. It comes on 1 hour in the AM prior to bus
startup time and 1 in the afternoon, although often the heater (1000
tested kw) isn't plugged in during most warmer afternoons.
I tested the cords and the heater 1st thing with my kill a watt as it was
suspicious to me also.

Was the cord coiled up making an electro magnetic heater?

I'd be suspect of the cord setup as then can generate a lot of heat. Years
ago at work had one start to smoke plugged to a truck block heater. Where
the cord was coiled, it go damned hot and that heat translates to energy
use.