Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
dpb dpb is offline

Default Lost Electricity

Steve IA wrote:
"David L. Martel" wrote:
Steve,

You provide a lot of good information. You state that your 12/07 usage
was 682 kwh (27.3 kwh/day for 25 days). You tell us that the power was out
for 20% of that billing cycle. You tell us that in past Decembers you have
used from 533 (17.2/day for 31 days)to 773 (24.9/day) kwh. I don't see much
theft here, could easily be normal variation.

Dave M.

Dave,
Thanks for the return.
I guess I'm not following your calculations. I will give you actuals and
maybe I can see where you're coming from
Dec 07 - 682 kwh on a 31 day billing cycle = 22 kwh/day
Previous 6 years Dec: assuming 31 day billing cycle for all
02- 611 =19.7kwh/day
03- 702 =22.6
04 -663 =21.4
05 -676 =21.8
06 -581 =18.7
07 -682 =22

avg = 653
range = 702-581 = 121

I agree that it is well within normal variation if I had used elec every of
the 31 days, but I only used for 80% of the time.

Previous max was 22.7; this was 22*0.8=17.6 -- 22.7/17.6 = 1.3 instead
of previous 1.1. I didn't check the numbers. Still, don't have the
comparative degree-days to see how much that might be a factor.

I'd still say it's unlikely to be anything except an anomaly in usage
combined w/ billing cycle. Could possibly have had some leakage during
the outage if there were some damage somewhere on your feed...I'd only
worry much if it is still abnormal for another month.