Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.cars.misc
James[_4_] James[_4_] is offline

Default Wire stripper

"James" wrote in message

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:56:00 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31689

This kind is good IME:

Manual size adjustment. If you are stripping alot of the the same sized
wire that is OK but with different sizes it isn't as convient as:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4254

This kind is convenient but sometimes is absolutely terrible:

I reach for this type one in my tool box in preference to the first. It
can be a bit to viscious on really fine wires such as the core of
walkperson headphone cable after you have been stripping 2.5mm T&E but
that is more down to operator error in not winding the blade tension
right
down. B-)

One of these has been my firm favourite over the last 40 years or so...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=45237

Does it only work with the sizes quoted? How well does it deal with
really
fine wires? The second above isn't bothered about wire size a great deal
unless very fine. It's not perfect the blade alignment isn't straight,
one
side grips tighter than the other, but it is an el cheapo one, may even
be
from Maplins cough years ago...

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/mo...cpc/269517.xml

Might be a better quailty tool but I know nothing about it.

(At this rate we'll soon have recommended everything Maplin has to
offer)

Naw, maybe the OP ought to drop into a shop with a selection of wires he
normally needs to strip and have a play to see which he prefers.

I thought about that and did so but maplin said they cannot take the
strippers out of the packaging, they said they had some similar that they
use and let me have a play with those.

These ones look quite good http:/search.ebay.co.uk/180208161202