Harold & Susan Vordos

Default drive pin on R8 collets

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip---

Let me put it this way. If I had gotten a manual Bridgeport
with R8 shank, and found that it was missing the key -- or that it was
sheared off -- I would by now have made and installed a replacement. As
I understand it, the key is simply a dog-point Allen head set screw,
backed by another Allen-head setscrew short enough so the socket extends
through it, to allow a single Allen wrench to loosen the lock setscrew,
and then back both out at the same time.

I just took a look at mine, and it sure looks like it's exactly as you
describe. A dog point set screw. On the back side of the quill there's a
screw that my money says will allow access to the key (screw) so it can be
either changed or adjusted for length. It would require aligning the
spindle with the quill to do so, however.

I bought my first Bridgeport in '67 and the second one in '77. I still
have the second one, and in all those years I have not destroyed the key,
nor have I had any incidences of tightening the collet when it was not
aligned properly. The minor amount of time it takes to align the collet
doesn't appear to me to be significant, but I get the idea that if you don't
do it routinely, it is likely somewhat troublesome. I think I understand
those that don't feel the key is necessary, I just don't agree with them.
It appears you don't, either.

I *do* appreciate the index pin in the 5C collet adaptor in my
Clausing 12x24 lathe.

I read your comments earlier, about installing your collets while you're at
the opposite end of the headstock tightening the drawbar. I, too, have
run such machines and can't imagine not having the key to keep the collet
from spinning. I not only appreciate the key, I more or less demand it.
Seems it would be quite awkward without one.

The last job I held before I started my shop back in '67, I ran a small
Clausing, likely a similar machine to yours. It was a 6" machine on which
I ran a lot of close tolerance work. I liked the variable speed drive it
had, but it was a bit noisy. To be honest, I was quite spoiled from
having had an EE at my disposal for years prior to leaving Sperry. Still,
I was quite impressed with the ability of the little Clausing to perform.
I recall a month straight of various low volume production parts with a +/-
..001" tolerance. No problem. It was equipped with a KDK tool post, which
has never been a favorite of mine. I prefer a square toolpost (OK Rubber
Welders, specifically), although they tend to be limiting for complex
setups.

Harold