Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default TCT Core Drills

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:26:11 +0000, ARWadworth wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:44:15 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

You obviously suffer a great deal from theft - are you in an
especially bad area?

Yes a very great deal. Better of late as this is only the second time
in 4.5 years on the new van, 5 attempts with 3 holding out. Each failed
attempt takes its toll on the existing locks. For me they always come
at night in bad weather.

CCTV? I have a 100% success record in discovering which yobs did the two
break ins and 3 vandalism attacks on my van. The hit and run driver also
got a shock when I turned up on her doorstep the next day and asked her
to pay up.

I can't guarantee where I'll be parking. By the book you are even meant
to use CCTV except /over/ your own land. The council will grant
permission for you to install the camera to look over one fixed location.
If I thought this was the way that would not stop me though.

Putting a Kasp on and off all day is impractical. Taking all the tools
to the store each night is not on. Maybe just taking the sds,jigsaw and
cordless is possible.

I fetch my core drill, SDS drill, test case and cordless SDS in
everynight, the rest stays in the van.

I'd probably have to add my decent jigsaw and cordless drill/driver to
the list.

At the end of the day I simply budget £600/year for theft. If I started
losing more than that then I will consider a new van (which seemed to
give me a few years of no thefts).

I allow for a few tools a year to go missing. The loss of time changing
a window or lock also needs to be accounted for.

Thanks for your useful comments.