Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default Still "Toshiba problems"?

"Forrest" wrote in message
news
I posted a couple of weeks ago about my Toshiba 32 in. TV. Below is a snip
of it.

"I have a 32 inch Toshiba TV (CX32D60) vintage 1994. It developed a
problem
with the vertical aspect of the picture. It started after a local power
failure. I, in my infinite wisdom, ran an extension cord out to the car
and
plugged it into a small inverter. Anywhooo ... now, when turned on, the
lower six inches or so stays black until warmed up and then about the
bottom
few inches stays black. People on the screen look like cone head midgets."

I tore the back off of it and blew out all of the dust and crud and have
been looking around for anything that looks leaky or swollen etc and can
find nothing. I guess I'm supposed to be looking for the "Vertical IC
section" change out the caps and possibly the IC chip, or whatever it's
called. The only problem is, I don't see anything labeled to indicate that
it's that section. On the board are printed words such as : Power, Horiz,
V/C/D, A/V SW and Selector etc. I haven't removed the board yet. Actually
it's two boards butted up against each other, side to side. The one on the
left, viewing from the back, is labeled PB 4346-1 and the board on the
right is labeled PB 4347-1. I see about a half dozen heat sinks, spread
around. I suppose the Vertical IC is attached to one of them? Obviously
I'm lost. Again, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Well, you sound like you are in over your head. If you plan to try to
service this yourself you might do some reading on the S.E.R. F.A.Q.
http://www.repairfaq.org/ It will help you figure out your way inside a TV.
Be sure to also read the section on HV power supplies. TVs can be dangerous
if you don't know what your doing, or even if you do know what you are doing
and just aren't careful.
Good Luck,
Mike