Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Still "Toshiba problems"?

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my Toshiba 32 in. TV. Below is a snip
of it.

"I have a 32 inch Toshiba TV (CX32D60) vintage 1994. It developed a problem
with the vertical aspect of the picture. It started after a local power
failure. I, in my infinite wisdom, ran an extension cord out to the car and
plugged it into a small inverter. Anywhooo ... now, when turned on, the
lower six inches or so stays black until warmed up and then about the bottom
few inches stays black. People on the screen look like cone head midgets."

I tore the back off of it and blew out all of the dust and crud and have
been looking around for anything that looks leaky or swollen etc and can
find nothing. I guess I'm supposed to be looking for the "Vertical IC
section" change out the caps and possibly the IC chip, or whatever it's
called. The only problem is, I don't see anything labeled to indicate that
it's that section. On the board are printed words such as : Power, Horiz,
V/C/D, A/V SW and Selector etc. I haven't removed the board yet. Actually
it's two boards butted up against each other, side to side. The one on the
left, viewing from the back, is labeled PB 4346-1 and the board on the right
is labeled PB 4347-1. I see about a half dozen heat sinks, spread around. I
suppose the Vertical IC is attached to one of them? Obviously I'm lost.
Again, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I would seriously consider bringing the TV to a service centre who knows
what they are doing. This way the set will get safely serviced.

--

JANA
_____

"Forrest" wrote in message
news I posted a couple of weeks ago about my Toshiba 32 in. TV. Below is a snip
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

hi...
try to see this (www.binarybiz.com) thank you!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Forrest" wrote in message
[...]

Well, you sound like you are in over your head. If you plan to try to
service this yourself you might do some reading on the S.E.R. F.A.Q.
http://www.repairfaq.org/ It will help you figure out your way inside a TV.
Be sure to also read the section on HV power supplies. TVs can be dangerous
if you don't know what your doing, or even if you do know what you are doing
and just aren't careful.
Good Luck,
Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
hi...
try to see this (www.binarybiz.com) thank you!

This is spam from a data-recovery site. I also received spam from them about
the Sharp microwave.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
wrote in message
hi...
try to see this (www.binarybiz.com) thank you!

This is spam from a data-recovery site. I also received spam from them about
the Sharp microwave.

Me too, several of them, all bearing either the name of this group or
threads to which I`ve replied

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
wrote...
hi...
try to see this (www.binarybiz.com) thank you!

This is spam from a data-recovery site. I also received spam from them about
the Sharp microwave.

Yeah, I got that one by e-mail.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:35:14 -0800, Forrest wrote:

[...]

Sounds as if you've been reading his group but I'm not certain you're up
to the task. My 'guess' is you damaged the power supply and not the
vertical. And you may have not really damaged it so to speak but rather
caused a problem lurking in the background to show its ugly face.

Proper diagnostics would include but not necessarily be limited to service
literature, a decent voltmeter (preferably a DVM) and a suitable scope.
Those things couple with a decent knowledge of trouble shooting techniques
are what I consider minimum requirements. You might want to Google for
some basic principles of tv trouble shooting and safety precautions to get
started.

I removed the circuit board and found an area marked "VERT" which I assume
is the vertical section. I was about to replace the caps in that area but am
now wondering if it's worth the trouble. Why do you think the power supply
is bad? The set turns on fine and the sound is great. The only problem is
the squatty cone head look and the three inch black bar across the bottom.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I removed the circuit board and found an area marked "VERT" which I assume
is the vertical section. I was about to replace the caps in that area but
am now wondering if it's worth the trouble. Why do you think the power
supply is bad? The set turns on fine and the sound is great. The only
problem is the squatty cone head look and the three inch black bar across
the bottom.

The power supply is probably just fine. This sounds like a classic case of
bad capacitors in the vertical circuit.