Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gene Kearns Gene Kearns is offline

Default OT - Agent Newsreader Question

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:55:19 -0500, Joe penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.crafts.metalworking:

OK, I just installed Agent (I haven't used this since Free Agent in
the mid-90s). I've figured out a lot of the configuration issues, but
one thing that bothers me is: how can I make Agent open the message in
a new window? I prefer to have the newsgroups list on the left, and
the message headers list on the right - nothing more. At any rate, I
don't want 3 panes. Am I missing something, or is there no way to
accomplish this?

Click the small icon immediately above the scroll bar on the right. It
toggles between three panes and the tabbed interface.

Using the tab interface.... click on the "Message List" tab and select
a thread. Double click it and the message will fill the screen. Click
the "Message List" tab again and you'll be ready to choose the next
interesting message.

Also, is there a way to kill just a part of a thread, based on, say,
who the poster is. eg, if hypothetical poster "numbnuts" tries to
hijack a thread, and some readers are suckers enough to engage him in
a ****ing contest, I would like to ban (or simply "ignore") just that
subthread, but not the rest of the thread.

Position the cursor at the head of the offending sub-thread and hit an
"I". Additionally a Shift+I will ignore the entire thread. It is a
toggle so if you hit the wrong thing you can always toggle it back.

I've been using Thunderbird for several years now, but the filtering
is pretty rudimentary.

So is Agent's. You have no capability to filter on text found in the
body... and until you do, the filtering will never really be
effective.
--

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/MachineShop/index.htm