Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default OT - Agent Newsreader Question

OK, I just installed Agent (I haven't used this since Free Agent in
the mid-90s). I've figured out a lot of the configuration issues, but
one thing that bothers me is: how can I make Agent open the message in
a new window? I prefer to have the newsgroups list on the left, and
the message headers list on the right - nothing more. At any rate, I
don't want 3 panes. Am I missing something, or is there no way to
accomplish this?

Also, is there a way to kill just a part of a thread, based on, say,
who the poster is. eg, if hypothetical poster "numbnuts" tries to
hijack a thread, and some readers are suckers enough to engage him in
a ****ing contest, I would like to ban (or simply "ignore") just that
subthread, but not the rest of the thread.

I've been using Thunderbird for several years now, but the filtering
is pretty rudimentary.

Thanks,
Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Joe wrote:

Also, is there a way to kill just a part of a thread, based on, say,
who the poster is. eg, if hypothetical poster "numbnuts" tries to
hijack a thread, and some readers are suckers enough to engage him in
a ****ing contest, I would like to ban (or simply "ignore") just that
subthread, but not the rest of the thread.

This can be done in newsreaders (or proxies) that support filtering on the
(also known as NewsProxy) will do this. http://www.nfilter.org

See my followup post to this one for example.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Joe
wrote:

Also, is there a way to kill just a part of a thread, based on, say,
who the poster is. eg, if hypothetical poster "numbnuts" tries to
hijack a thread, and some readers are suckers enough to engage him in
a ****ing contest, I would like to ban (or simply "ignore") just that
subthread, but not the rest of the thread.

This can be done in newsreaders (or proxies) that support filtering on the
(also known as NewsProxy) will do this.
http://www.nfilter.org

See my followup post to this one for example.

Looking at the headers for my reply [above], we see, among other things:

The second one is the message-ID of my reply. The first one is the message-ID
of your original post.

If you filter out anything containing

in either the References: or the Message-ID: header, you won't see my reply or
any of the followups to it.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:38:58 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

This can be done in newsreaders (or proxies) that support filtering on the
(also known as NewsProxy) will do this.
http://www.nfilter.org

See my followup post to this one for example.

Looking at the headers for my reply [above], we see, among other things:

The second one is the message-ID of my reply. The first one is the message-ID
of your original post.

If you filter out anything containing

in either the References: or the Message-ID: header, you won't see my reply or
any of the followups to it.

Thanks Doug, I'm getting a better idea of the use of more advanced
filters now. As it turns out, though, when I click on "Ignore this
thread" (or just "I") in the middle of a long discussion, Agent
informs me that it will just ignore the sub-thread, exactly like I
wanted! This will be great for some of the other NGs that I read,
where the readers show less restraint even than those here. g

Now if I can just figure out how to get the message body to open in a
new window (as a default), without having to do any extra clicking on
window icons. Thunderbird defaults to the 3 pane display, but if I
drag the middle border down (which closes off the message body), it
defaults to opening the message in a new window. That way, I get to
see more of the thread view, which helps me to decide how I want to
proceed.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:46:50 -0500, Joe wrote:

Now if I can just figure out how to get the message body to open in a
new window (as a default), without having to do any extra clicking on
window icons. Thunderbird defaults to the 3 pane display, but if I
drag the middle border down (which closes off the message body), it
defaults to opening the message in a new window. That way, I get to
see more of the thread view, which helps me to decide how I want to
proceed.

Not exactly what your looking for, but single pane display is close and
what I use 99% of the time.

On the right hand edge, slightly below the close "X" is a square. Click
it with the mouse and your in single pane. (It is a toggle so a second
click will go back to 3 pane.) While in single pane you can use the "n"
key to go to the next unread message, or the tabs to go to the other two
panes.
--
William

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:55:19 -0500, Joe penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.crafts.metalworking:

OK, I just installed Agent (I haven't used this since Free Agent in
the mid-90s). I've figured out a lot of the configuration issues, but
one thing that bothers me is: how can I make Agent open the message in
a new window? I prefer to have the newsgroups list on the left, and
the message headers list on the right - nothing more. At any rate, I
don't want 3 panes. Am I missing something, or is there no way to
accomplish this?

Click the small icon immediately above the scroll bar on the right. It
toggles between three panes and the tabbed interface.

Using the tab interface.... click on the "Message List" tab and select
a thread. Double click it and the message will fill the screen. Click
the "Message List" tab again and you'll be ready to choose the next
interesting message.

Also, is there a way to kill just a part of a thread, based on, say,
who the poster is. eg, if hypothetical poster "numbnuts" tries to
hijack a thread, and some readers are suckers enough to engage him in
a ****ing contest, I would like to ban (or simply "ignore") just that
subthread, but not the rest of the thread.

Position the cursor at the head of the offending sub-thread and hit an
"I". Additionally a Shift+I will ignore the entire thread. It is a
toggle so if you hit the wrong thing you can always toggle it back.

I've been using Thunderbird for several years now, but the filtering
is pretty rudimentary.

So is Agent's. You have no capability to filter on text found in the
body... and until you do, the filtering will never really be
effective.
--

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/MachineShop/index.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:55:19 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Joe
quickly quoth:

OK, I just installed Agent (I haven't used this since Free Agent in
the mid-90s). I've figured out a lot of the configuration issues, but
one thing that bothers me is: how can I make Agent open the message in
a new window? I prefer to have the newsgroups list on the left, and
the message headers list on the right - nothing more. At any rate, I
don't want 3 panes. Am I missing something, or is there no way to
accomplish this?

I don't think you can, but you can minimize one pane so it's pretty
much hidden by dragging the window nearly closed, showing only the
message on the left and list on the right.

Also, is there a way to kill just a part of a thread, based on, say,
who the poster is. eg, if hypothetical poster "numbnuts" tries to
hijack a thread, and some readers are suckers enough to engage him in
a ****ing contest, I would like to ban (or simply "ignore") just that
subthread, but not the rest of the thread.

No, and that's the only thing I miss in Agent. I keep wanting better
filtering for twits and such. BODY TEXT filtering would be ideal, but
they haven't enabled it yet. It's in the wish list already.

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Joe wrote:

Thanks Doug, I'm getting a better idea of the use of more advanced
filters now. As it turns out, though, when I click on "Ignore this
thread" (or just "I") in the middle of a long discussion, Agent
informs me that it will just ignore the sub-thread, exactly like I
wanted! This will be great for some of the other NGs that I read,
where the readers show less restraint even than those here. g

Perfect!

Now if I can just figure out how to get the message body to open in a
new window (as a default), without having to do any extra clicking on
window icons. Thunderbird defaults to the 3 pane display, but if I
drag the middle border down (which closes off the message body), it
defaults to opening the message in a new window. That way, I get to
see more of the thread view, which helps me to decide how I want to
proceed.

I can't help you there, sorry. You might want to ask over at rec.woodworking,
whose regulars include a fair smattering of computer geeks, some of whom use
Agent and discuss it from time to time -- that group has been repeatedly
attacked by trolls and sporgery floods, so various newsreaders and their
filtering abilities have been a not-infrequent topic of conversation. And as
long as you preface the subject with OT as you did here, there won't be any
more objection to it there than normally occurs here.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:12:03 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

,;On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:55:19 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Joe
quickly quoth:
,;
,;OK, I just installed Agent (I haven't used this since Free Agent in
,;the mid-90s). I've figured out a lot of the configuration issues, but
,;one thing that bothers me is: how can I make Agent open the message in
,;a new window? I prefer to have the newsgroups list on the left, and
,;the message headers list on the right - nothing more. At any rate, I
,;don't want 3 panes. Am I missing something, or is there no way to
,;accomplish this?
,;
,;I don't think you can, but you can minimize one pane so it's pretty
,;much hidden by dragging the window nearly closed, showing only the
,;message on the left and list on the right.

The "z" key toggles 3 or 1 pane. In three panes you can resize to
effectively have two panes. 1, 2, or 3 panes visible is the best you
can do.
,;
,;
,;Also, is there a way to kill just a part of a thread, based on, say,
,;who the poster is. eg, if hypothetical poster "numbnuts" tries to
,;hijack a thread, and some readers are suckers enough to engage him in
,;a ****ing contest, I would like to ban (or simply "ignore") just that
,;subthread, but not the rest of the thread.
,;
,;No, and that's the only thing I miss in Agent. I keep wanting better
,;filtering for twits and such. BODY TEXT filtering would be ideal, but
,;they haven't enabled it yet. It's in the wish list already.
,;
,; ---
,; Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 07:04:02 -0600, Unknown
wrote:

The "z" key toggles 3 or 1 pane. In three panes you can resize to
effectively have two panes. 1, 2, or 3 panes visible is the best you
can do.

And the 1, 2, 3 keys on your keyboard move focus through the
three panes. If you are "zoomed in" to just one pane they
will bring up/focus the corresponding pane while still being
zoomed in. I use the keyboard for all most all of my
maneuvering. If you use the mouse your arm/wrist will soon
start complaining...

Personally I use the 3 pane mode with groups on the top
left, message on the top right and the thread view on the
bottom. Play around with the sizes a bit and use the "Menu
- Options - Save as default window layout" to repeat the
settings the next time you run Agent.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Thanks to all of those who have replied so far. I'm now using Agent in
a single window, with either the tab or the 1,2,3 keys to switch views
(thanks, Leon, for that tip). I don't like to use a mouse all the
time; if I can't navigate with keyboard shortcuts, a program loses its
attraction for me really quickly. Now I wish I didn't have to hit
Ctrl-N to see the next message (or N, then Enter) - a simple N should
do. Oh, well, I can live with it.

It looks like I will spring for this program after the 30 days is
over.

Again, thanks to y'all, and if you have any more handy Agent tips,
feel free to send them on.

We southern Appalachian candyasses are getting ready for our second
snowfall in 3 days; it will be interesting to see what happens this
time. South Carolina isn't used to much snow, and the guys with 4WD
haven't figured out that it is no help on black ice. The pickup boys
throw their chainsaws in the back, so they can clear off the fallen
trees. That leaves the roads open so folks can go a little further
before they slide into the ditches. It snows so seldom that no one
owns tire chains.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

Years ago when I lived in Charleston, we got an inch of snow one
Friday night. We got up for work on Saturday and drove our Harley's to
work. As we turned into the parking lot at work, the Police were
sitting there and telling everyone that the streets were closed.
When we rolled up on our bikes, they couldn't believe it.
We didn't have any customers that day.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:08:41 GMT, Dan@ (Dan ) wrote:

Years ago when I lived in Charleston, we got an inch of snow one
Friday night. We got up for work on Saturday and drove our Harley's to
work. As we turned into the parking lot at work, the Police were
sitting there and telling everyone that the streets were closed.
When we rolled up on our bikes, they couldn't believe it.
We didn't have any customers that day.

He he, that would be a real trick on my panhead - I'm not sure if
there is any measureable tread on the rear tire by now. It's funny,
you pay so much money for those M/C tires, and they wear out after
3-5K miles. And I don't even do any burnouts, corner like a madman,
etc!

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 08:35:16 -0500, Joe
wrote:

Thanks to all of those who have replied so far. I'm now using Agent in
a single window, with either the tab or the 1,2,3 keys to switch views
(thanks, Leon, for that tip). I don't like to use a mouse all the
time; if I can't navigate with keyboard shortcuts, a program loses its
attraction for me really quickly. Now I wish I didn't have to hit
Ctrl-N to see the next message (or N, then Enter) - a simple N should
do. Oh, well, I can live with it.

Are you retrieving all message bodies ahead of time? If so a
single N should jump to the next unread message. At least it
used to and does in the version I am using (2.0/32.652).
Control N just focuses the message pane at the same time in
this case.

I still think you should get used to the three-pane model
(grin). For what I have been looking at for many years see
this slightly squashed image:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/agent.jpg

Agent has an excellent Help file, take a minute and look it
over

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 08:35:16 -0500, Joe wrote:

,;Thanks to all of those who have replied so far. I'm now using Agent in
,;a single window, with either the tab or the 1,2,3 keys to switch views
,;(thanks, Leon, for that tip). I don't like to use a mouse all the
,;time; if I can't navigate with keyboard shortcuts, a program loses its
,;attraction for me really quickly. Now I wish I didn't have to hit
,;Ctrl-N to see the next message (or N, then Enter) - a simple N should
,;do. Oh, well, I can live with it.

Just hit the spacebar to go to the next unread message.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 18:05:39 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Unknown quickly quoth:

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 08:35:16 -0500, Joe wrote:

,;Thanks to all of those who have replied so far. I'm now using Agent in
,;a single window, with either the tab or the 1,2,3 keys to switch views
,;(thanks, Leon, for that tip). I don't like to use a mouse all the
,;time; if I can't navigate with keyboard shortcuts, a program loses its
,;attraction for me really quickly. Now I wish I didn't have to hit
,;Ctrl-N to see the next message (or N, then Enter) - a simple N should
,;do. Oh, well, I can live with it.

Just hit the spacebar to go to the next unread message.

Don't forget the I key to ignore the current thread. I've used that a
LOT here and over on the Wreck.

--
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
-- Mark Twain
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 18:05:39 -0600, Unknown wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 08:35:16 -0500, Joe wrote:

,;Thanks to all of those who have replied so far. I'm now using Agent in
,;a single window, with either the tab or the 1,2,3 keys to switch views
,;(thanks, Leon, for that tip). I don't like to use a mouse all the
,;time; if I can't navigate with keyboard shortcuts, a program loses its
,;attraction for me really quickly. Now I wish I didn't have to hit
,;Ctrl-N to see the next message (or N, then Enter) - a simple N should
,;do. Oh, well, I can live with it.

Just hit the spacebar to go to the next unread message.

Huh? The way my copy works, hitting the spacebar, while reading a message,
switches the view to the Folders pane (or jumps to the Folders pane, in
multi-pane view). I couldn't find anything in the Navigation section of the
Options that suggests otherwise. I'm running v4.2.

OK, I see now - that only works if you already have the message bodies
downloaded. I guess I might have to change my download preferences and just put
up with downloading all the messages that I don't want, as well as the ones I do
want. In that respect, it would be no different than Thunderbird, so I guess
there's no harm.

When I had tried it out before, there were no more messages left unread in rcm,
and since rcm is the last of the newsgroups in my list, the view just went to
the Folders pane. Doh!

OK, here's another needed shortcut that would come in handy: While composing a
message, is there an easy way to toggle between the Composition view and the
Newsgroups view (without having to click on "Window" on the Menu Bar)?

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-19, Joe wrote:
Thanks to all of those who have replied so far. I'm now using Agent in
a single window, with either the tab or the 1,2,3 keys to switch views
(thanks, Leon, for that tip). I don't like to use a mouse all the
time; if I can't navigate with keyboard shortcuts, a program loses its
attraction for me really quickly. Now I wish I didn't have to hit
Ctrl-N to see the next message (or N, then Enter) - a simple N should
do. Oh, well, I can live with it.

Now you are seeing why unix users tend to prefer the keyboards
with the Ctrl key to the left of the 'A', and the Caps-Lock moved out of
the way. :-) There are a *lot* of unix programs which heavily use the
Ctrl sequences.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:08:41 -0500, Joe wrote:

[...]

I was a beta tester for Agent and started using it with version 0.56.
You don't need to download messages you don't want.

This is the way I have been using Agent for years.

Down load headers for subscribed newsgroups. Online Click on get
headers in subscribed groups. This takes a while because I subscribe
to a lot of groups. While the headers are coming in I start selecting
which bodies I want to read. This is done in the "threads" window by
hitting the "M" key when that header is highlighted. This marks the
message to download and moves to the next unread header. If I don't
want that one the "N" key moves to the next unread header. If it is a
long boring off topic thread I use the rodent to move to a thread that
looks interesting.

Once I have marked (with "M") all of the headers that I am interested
in OnlineGet marked message bodies starts downloading messages.
Agent downloads ONLY the bodies I have checked. The unmarked headers
are now shown in black now and the headers which contain messages are
still red. At this point the spacebar is particularly useful.

I start at the top of my subscribed groups and hit the spacebar. This
takes me to AND opens the first unread message. If I had hit the "N"
key it would have taken me to the first unread message but I would
still be in the "Thread" window. If so double click opens the message.

Assume I went to the message with the spacebar. I read to the bottom
of the window and hit the spacebar again. This keeps moving me down
one screen in that message until I reach the end. One more hit on the
spacebar opens the next unread message and skips all of those headers
that I didn't mark to retrieve. If the entire message is in one screen
the spacebar opens the next unread message. If I am in a long boring
message I can hit the "N" key to bail out and go to the next unread.

When there are no more unread messages the spacebar opens the group
window and I am finished reading messages for that session.

At this point I close Agent and purge the empty headers. If you forget
to purge those black unread headers will still be there the next time
you download headers and it is a PITA to have the black unwanted
headers interspersed with the new ones.
,;
,;When I had tried it out before, there were no more messages left unread in rcm,
,;and since rcm is the last of the newsgroups in my list, the view just went to
,;the Folders pane. Doh!

That is what it is supposed to do.
,;
,;OK, here's another needed shortcut that would come in handy: While composing a
,;message, is there an easy way to toggle between the Composition view and the
,;Newsgroups view (without having to click on "Window" on the Menu Bar)?

Cascade vertically or horizontally... Shift key plus F4 or Shift key
plus F5 might do what you want. This is shown when you click on
"Window". You can use the Ctrl plus Tab keys to move through the Agent
"windows". This is interesting because Agent apparently takes control
of that key sequence. Normally you would move through open Windows
programs with those keys but with Agent in focus it stays in the Agent
windows. Neat huh.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I haven't used tire chains in50 years - since a couple years after I
started to drive; although I will admit, there are times when they are
necessary, like climbing a 1:3 slope after a thaw in a Model "A" Ford
with Dad driving and me standing on the "bumperettes" (split rear
bumper) hanging onto a rope through the back windows in order to put a
bit more weight on the back wheels.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 06:44:38 -0600, Unknown
wrote:

Cascade vertically or horizontally... Shift key plus F4 or Shift key
plus F5 might do what you want. This is shown when you click on
"Window". You can use the Ctrl plus Tab keys to move through the Agent
"windows". This is interesting because Agent apparently takes control
of that key sequence. Normally you would move through open Windows
programs with those keys but with Agent in focus it stays in the Agent
windows. Neat huh.

That is normal windows operation. Alt-Tab cycles through
open programs. Ctrl-tab cycles through the current programs
child windows. Ctrl-F6 and Shift-Ctrl-F6 also cycles through
the current programs child windows in either forward or
reverse direction.

Ctrl-tab is easy to remember and should do what Joe wants
while composing messages.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b