Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Bit OT. CFLs revisited.

"John Smith" wrote in message
James Sweet wrote:

I don't want to see either one banned.

Right now, electricity is relatively cheap here in the USA, 10/25 cents a
KW. When that becomes closer to $1.00/KW USD you won't want them banned

In my corner it's more like 7.5c/KWH. I use CFLs mostly but regardless of
the cost of energy I don't want either light source banned. The economics
will encourage people to use higher efficiency lights and appliances, those
who don't will pay accordingly. I'm even ok with taxing less efficient
items, but to blanket ban a style of light bulb is stupid. I did some
calculating and even if my lights were all incandescent, the overall energy
use of my home would not change dramatically. Lighting is simply not a large
portion of the power I use. The hot tub and heat pump use more than
everything else combined by far.