Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] daryl1138@yahoo.com is offline

Default "Woodworking" Magazine goes Subscription

On Jan 17, 9:52*am, Chris Friesen wrote:
wrote:
This
is one of the best woodworking mags left (especially with FWW articals
saying you need 42 bar clamps to do a 3 foot glue up).

Actually, they said you need a lot of pressure to do an "optimal" glue
joint. *This is true (if you doubt them, take a look at the titebond
website, they suggest a minimum of 100psi for softwoods, and up to
250psi for hardwoods).

They didn't cover how much pressure is necessary for an "acceptable"
joint, which is closer to what most home woodworkers are looking for.

Chris

That is kind of like saying the optimum weld is when both peices of
metal are completely melted into one molten mass. IIRC the "optimum"
glue joint pressure for cherry was 1200 PSI and a bar clamp was rated
under 1100. With no cleats or pads my bar clamps faces are about one
inch wide which means at best putting clamps dead nuts against each
other I still fall short of the "optimum" joint. Maybe it was
scientifically true it is literally unattainable short of a very large
hydraulic press and like melting part A and B into a single gelatenous
mass it lacked any reasonable level of common sense and should have
never made it into print of what is often otherwise one of the best 2
or 3 mags out there. IMHO they knocked themselves down one notch for
printing it and another for the lame defense this past month.

Ah but back on course with this thread. "Woodworking" has not always
been easy to find in my area but I do consider it one of the best.