Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Cleat thickness to support bench

"SonomaProducts.com" writes:
Running a 3/4 ledger under the bench is a fine idea. No problem with
strength as you describe. Personally I would use small lag bolts into
the studs maybe 5/16" or 3/8". Screw pull-out would be your only
concern here so the lags give more bite. The deck screws won't likely
pull out but a commercial grade approach would use lags.

I like that suggestion but my only concern would be whether I could
still countersink the heads given that I have only 3/4" of depth.

As far as attachment up to the bench, I would probably use table irons
or other typical attachments like used for a table top. Across the 18"
width you will get some expansion and need to account for that in a
sliding attachment. Plus is seems difficult to screw up through a 3/4
wide board and that puts your screw at the very end and edge of the
bench slab.

Good point about allowing for expansion and about screwing up through
a 3/4" board.

I am not familiar with the term "table irons" -- I tried googling but
kept getting things like ironing boards and periodic table elements
Can you describe what they are or give me another term that I could
search on?

You could use pocket screws but that puts the screws even farther
toward the end and edge.

Finally, you only need a little grab into the bench top, just enough
to keep it from sliding or coming loose.

I guess my overall preference would be to have the fasteners as hidden
as possible which is why I was initiatlly considering screwing up
through the ledger board (note I can't use anything really thicker
than 3/4" or else it will stand proud of the surrounding door trim).

So given your point that "you only need a little grab", are there
other alternatives to providing a little grab (with room for
expansion/contraction) while being minimally visible?

Thanks,
Jeff

Also, I don't think this
would ever sag and in fact I would probably just put a ledger at each
end but having it along the back will make it a littloe more stable.

That was my hope, but wanted to confirm before I spent the $$$ and
time on building it.

On Jan 17, 7:20*am, blueman wrote:
I am building a 52" x 18" x 2" (actual dimensions) white oak bench for
a small alcove that is surrounded on 3 sides by walls.

To support the bench, I am thinking of using white oak cleats along the 3
supporting sides and screwing up through the cleats into the bench so
that there are no (obviousy) visible fasteners

Would a running 3/4" x 2" cleat along 3 sides of the bench be
sufficient to support the bench under easonable use? (say maximum of
3 adults or 4 children sitting on it).

Assume that the cleats will be screwed into the studs every 16 inches
using a 3 1/2" deck screw. Assume also that 3" deck screws will be
used to screw up through the cleat into the bench.

Thanks