Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Design flaw cited in MN bridge collapse

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:35:03 -0800, David Harmon
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:17:34 -0800 (PST) in rec.crafts.metalworking,
Too_Many_Tools wrote,

The messenger is always killed.

"I don't want yes-men around me. I want everyone to tell the truth,
even if costs them their jobs."
-- Samuel Goldwyn.

===============
Even if the plate thickness was adequate when designed, 50 years
of salt and weather *MAY* have reduced this below minimum.

Anyone have information/insight into how much corrosion had taken
place?

There was a picture of the bridge on one of the area's TV station's web
pages shortly after the collapse (I think it was a stock photo that had
been up for a year) that showed HUGE orange streaks on the side of the
sub-structure, in the general area where the collapse was supposed to
have started. The picture mysteriously disappeared a few days after the
accident. The amount of rust looked ENORMOUS to me, bit I'm not a
trained M.E. The photo was supposed to be from about one year before
the collapse.

Jon