Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default TCT Core Drills

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:44:15 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 21:31:33 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

After 2 years of venting tumble dryers, fitting waste pipes etc I
finally decided to buy a TCT Core Drill set from Toolstation. Cheap
enough @£25 ish so worth a punt and its seems pretty well engineered.
www.toolstation.com part number 41361.

It came with; 30, 50 and 110mm core. 200mm Hex and SDS arbors. 8mm
Taper Guide Drill. 2 x Drift keys.

No instructions however! Since I've never used one before, a few
questions;

Do I use the hammer action on my SDS?

I assume the best way is to drill straight through with an 8mm extra
long drill, then drill from each side?

The 8mm taper drill guide looks pretty much like an 8mm masonry drill
and appears to be a taper fit. I assume the drift keys are to remove
it, but why 2?

I have a 620w Wickes SDS with clutch, powerful enough? Failing that I
have a Wickes High Torque mains drill, around 85Nm torque - but no
clutch, just a large side handle. Don't fancy using that much :-)

I've e-mailed Toolstation asking for instructions, but obviously no
reply yet.

Like you I initally bought a TCT unit. The results were noisy dusty and
the bits didn't last long. Eventually I had to switch on the hammer to
make any progress.

So hammer is OK? Thats what I was unsure of.

I'm not sure on TCT. ON diamonds it's certinaly wrong. When the TCT bits
are finished maybe the hammer is the only way to finish both the job in
progress and the drill.

I don't think I'd ever get the investment back. Occassional use with
me, different if I were a full time plumber.

once you have the tool you find jobs that otherwise you would not do.

You obviously suffer a great deal from theft - are you in an especially
bad area?

Yes a very great deal. Better of late as this is only the second time in
4.5 years on the new van, 5 attempts with 3 holding out. Each failed
attempt takes its toll on the existing locks.
For me they always come at night in bad weather.

Putting a Kasp on and off all day is impractical. Taking all the tools to
the store each night is not on. Maybe just taking the sds,jigsaw and
cordless is possible.

every one asks "Can't you insure?" - yes but the premiums will far exceed
the claims let alone that they will impose impossible conditions.

London is not really part of the UK. It is part of a set of locations
around the globe belonging to "Cosmopolitia". The laws appear to be the
same as the surrounding nation but there is too much (far more serious)
crime so enforcement is patchy.

At the end of the day I simply budget £600/year for theft. If I started
losing more than that then I will consider a new van (which seemed to
give me a few years of no thefts).