Posted to alt.home.repair
franz frippl franz frippl is offline

Default chimney/flue questions

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 05:26:46 -0800, christian_pare wrote:

On Jan 17, 7:09Â*am, franz frippl wrote:
I'm installing a woodburning stove that accepts 6" stovepipe. Is there
any advantage to using an 8" chimney or can I keep the chimney at 6".

The chimney is not yet built.

If it's a prefab, I would stick to 6". The chimney should be the size
of the stovepipe.
If it's a masonry chimney, the only reason to go bigger (7") is if you
want to more easily reline the chimney further down the road.. But, a
bigger chimney will create more draft, thus a little more heat lost to
the exterior.

I just installed a new woodstove in my home that came with a 6"
stovepipe exhaust. We had a 7" brick chimney built for it. It works
fine. I wanted a chimney that could be relined easily (in ~30 so years).

Christian

Thanks.
This is for a small (20x24') cabin with loft. I'm thinking of a prefab
metal chimney out the exterior wall. I know this is perhaps not the best
arrangement but I prefer not to punch a hole in the new roof.