Posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.house
RickH RickH is offline

Default Steel casters better than plastic for this use?

On Jan 14, 9:50*pm, Doc wrote:
I'm buidling a shelf storage unit for the garage and am going to put
it on wheels to make it easy to move for cleaning or any other reason
I may need to move it.

Since this is going to be sitting in place on concrete for long
periods without moving, I plan on using steel casters since I assume
rubber casters wouldn't be a good choice that they would develop a
flat spot over time, correct?
I wonder if these hard plastic casters I see could develop problems
with potntially a fair amound of weight sitting on them for extended
periods.

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks

I built a large paint storage cabinet out of several new but unused
kitchen cabinets, the unit is 8 feet by 3 feet by 2 feet deep. Loaded
its well over 500 lbs, I used steel casters, have had no problems
moving the unit to clean under it after 8 years.