Posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.house
Doc Doc is offline

Default Steel casters better than plastic for this use?

I'm buidling a shelf storage unit for the garage and am going to put
it on wheels to make it easy to move for cleaning or any other reason
I may need to move it.

Since this is going to be sitting in place on concrete for long
periods without moving, I plan on using steel casters since I assume
rubber casters wouldn't be a good choice that they would develop a
flat spot over time, correct?
I wonder if these hard plastic casters I see could develop problems
with potntially a fair amound of weight sitting on them for extended
periods.

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article
,
Doc wrote:

I'm buidling a shelf storage unit for the garage and am going to put
it on wheels to make it easy to move for cleaning or any other reason
I may need to move it.

Since this is going to be sitting in place on concrete for long
periods without moving, I plan on using steel casters since I assume
rubber casters wouldn't be a good choice that they would develop a
flat spot over time, correct?
I wonder if these hard plastic casters I see could develop problems
with potntially a fair amound of weight sitting on them for extended
periods.

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks

For about $80 you can go to Costco and buy a beautiful chrome plated
wire shelving unit on hard rubber wheels. The wheels don't develop flat
spots from sitting for long periods unused. Some things are great DIY
projects, but I wouldn't build a shelf unit given what's available for
sale.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Doc wrote:
I'm buidling a shelf storage unit for the garage and am going to put
it on wheels to make it easy to move for cleaning or any other reason
I may need to move it.

Since this is going to be sitting in place on concrete for long
periods without moving, I plan on using steel casters since I assume
rubber casters wouldn't be a good choice that they would develop a
flat spot over time, correct?
I wonder if these hard plastic casters I see could develop problems
with potntially a fair amound of weight sitting on them for extended
periods.

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks

Steel rusts, especially sitting on concrete. I use rubber; seldom have
any problems, do shoot oil into the swivels once a year to keep them
working well.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Steel rusts, especially sitting on concrete. I use rubber; seldom have
any problems, do shoot oil into the swivels once a year to keep them
working well.

I've used cheap hard plastic casters for EVERYTHING in the garage without
any problems. Buy 'em at Home Despot or Northern Tools.

I think steel casters would only be useful for loads exceeding 500 lbs.

On Jan 14, 9:50*pm, Doc wrote:
I'm buidling a shelf storage unit for the garage and am going to put
it on wheels to make it easy to move for cleaning or any other reason
I may need to move it.

Since this is going to be sitting in place on concrete for long
periods without moving, I plan on using steel casters since I assume
rubber casters wouldn't be a good choice that they would develop a
flat spot over time, correct?
I wonder if these hard plastic casters I see could develop problems
with potntially a fair amound of weight sitting on them for extended
periods.

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks

I built a large paint storage cabinet out of several new but unused
kitchen cabinets, the unit is 8 feet by 3 feet by 2 feet deep. Loaded
its well over 500 lbs, I used steel casters, have had no problems
moving the unit to clean under it after 8 years.

connecting Steel pipe to plastic OR copper [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 25th 07 01:12 PM
Removing concrete residue from steel and plastic Ignoramus27770 Home Repair 1 June 16th 07 02:50 AM
Steel Bath or Plastic Stuart UK diy 3 March 15th 06 09:30 AM
Conduit for wall lighting - plastic or steel? Roger R UK diy 7 October 31st 05 09:35 PM
Daimler steel/plastic "alloy" Don Stauffer Metalworking 41 June 28th 05 03:44 PM