Eric R Snow

Default drive pin on R8 collets

On 30 Jun 2004 17:51:28 GMT, (Charles A.
Sherwood) wrote:

I recently bought a used rockwell mill. There is no drive pin in the
spindle that is suppose to engage with the R8 collet. My other mills
do have drive pins. Is this a problem that I need to fix??
I seem to remember this question before and it might be ok??

thanks
chuck

Gretings Chuck,
A friend of mine who is probably the best machinist I know removes his
because the speed up tool changes. You don't need the key to hold the
collet still when tightening the drawbar if your collets and drawbar
have good threads. But, I keep mine because the drill chucks and
boring heads with R-8 shanks always go in the same. So you can put the
chuck in and it will always run true and the boring head will cut the
same size. My buddy agrees with this and he marks his tool shanks and
the spindle nose so they go in the same while at the same time
allowing faster tool changes otherwise. But he never forgets to line
up the marks. And I would aleays forget.
Eric R Snow,
E T Precision Machine