Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Wood hardener v CA

In article S%2jj.32431$fj2.17766@edtnps82,
"Darrell Feltmate" wrote:

I think if I was going to turn balsa I would thin out epoxy and use it as
hardener. On the other hand I would not turn balsa. I don't think. Maybe.

If any of the local kids ever pry themselves away from video screens and
make rockets, balsa turning is a useful skill. A light touch, and a good
deal of abrasive shaping/finishing - no hardener required. A few coats
of old-fashioned airplane dope for an excellent finish.

As far as I can tell, the "wood hardener" product that's a milky liquid
is exactly the same as, but more expensive than, waterbased acrylic wood
finish.