Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Wood hardener v CA

I think if I was going to turn balsa I would thin out epoxy and use it as
hardener. On the other hand I would not turn balsa. I don't think. Maybe.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"John" wrote in message
In message wlRij.32285$fj2.21379@edtnps82, Darrell Feltmate
writes
John
I have used Minwax wood hardener on soft and spalted wood to turn and
found
it good. I am not sure that it is any better, however, than acrylic floor
polish. That works as well. I turn to close to finish and then allow the
polish or Minwax to soak into the outer parts of the turning and finish it
off. Pen blanks can be vacuum filled.

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for the hints, it sounds like anything that will
A. soak in
B. Harden

Might be suitable options. It sounds like time for me to see what I can
find and experiment.

Maybe I should get a large chunk of Balsa and use that as the basis of
testing each, it should give a reasonably constant soft base line. Any
thoughts?
--
John