Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home Not@home is offline

Default Can your kids drown?

Locks alone don't cut it. Remember, the lock has to be simple enough
that the parent can work it, so there is always a possibility that a
smart, or perserverent child can work it too. My mother had a cute way
of locking cabinets (it worked on my sisters and I), so when we had her
first grandchild, she visited as soon as he could crawl and locked our
cabinets; my son crawled over and unlocked one on his first try.
I agree that it is almost impossible to constantly monitor your
infants, particularly if they have you outnumbered. So I think a
combination of safety measures, such as locks and moving dangerous
substances out of easy reach, has to be combined with training the child
on what they may and may not do, and even then, there will still be
tragic accidents. Children are actually smarter than we give them
credit, so the training has to start very early.

Charles wrote:
Hello:

This is so sad:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/...uled-accident/

I have installed locks where my grandkids live.

Something to think about.