Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Is my TV digital?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:14:02 -0600, wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:15:30 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

There's DVD recorders, although they're newer can you can get one with
ATSC/QAM tuners.

Yes, I saw a DVD/VCR combination recorder with a Digital Tuner in one
store. The price was enough to make me fall to the floor and I came
close to having to call 911 for oxygen treatments.

The one (DVR recorder with ATSC/QAM tuner) cost more than a cheap VCR,
but the price wasn't that high for a DVD recorder. Mine was $169 a few
months ago.

I initially had gone there to inquire if they sold the convertor
boxes. They did not have them, but the salesman was quick to show me
this overpriced thing.

I still wonder why anyone would want to record a DVD rather than a
tape.

Some reasons:

1. Recording is digital. It can then be copied to computer without the
problems associated with handling analog signal and A/D conversion
within the computer.

2. DVDs take less storage space than VHS cassettes. I just checked and
got FIVE DVDs (in slim cases) in somewhat less space than OVE VHS
cassette. As for capacity, I can get around 27 hours on those DVDs
(single sided DVD, with TV quality compression) compared to 10 hours
on some tapes.

3. DVDs are not susceptible to magnetic fields. This makes it easier
to find a suitable storage location for them.

4. a DVD is one solid piece rather than a long stringy thing that can
get stuck in the mechanism, destroying the media and (sometimes)
leading to the need for repair of the recorder.

5. A DVD is random access. Pressing 'RECORD' will never overwrite
existing recordings.

6. Getting recordings into the computer is easy. You just copy a few
..VOB files (which are actually MPEG).

7. Some recorders even allow simultaneous independent record and
playback (like a DVR, for buffering live TV).

8. Picture is higher quality and doesn't degrade nearly as quickly as
with tape.

Tapes can be erased and used over and over. As far as I know,
these DVD recorders are for only one time use (unlike the computer
ones).

Forget about rewritable DVDs?

Maybe that will change in the future, but for now, just
recording a tv show to watch later could get costly for one time use
per disk.

That's the sort of thing you want a DVD-RW or DVD+RW for. Your DVD
recorder should have no problem using such a disk.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."