Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] glyford@gmail.com is offline

Default Kick start vs pull start

On Jan 14, 12:27*pm, steamer wrote:
* * * * --Here's the thing: I've been thinking of getting one of those silly
gasoline powered blenders. Trouble is, they've all got one of those
pull-cords to start the little engine (the tend to be cantankerous too..).
Well, since trying to start a crummy genny a while back I'm now nursing a
torn rotator cuff so pull-starters are a no-no. Has anyone seen plans for a
kick-starter floating around? I'm guessing there's gearing inside to
accelerate a footpedal output to a rotation rate needed to start a small
engine; i.e. it's not a 1-to-1 gearing..

The old maytags used a sector gear on the pedal to drive a pinion on
the crank. At a guess, something like 3 or 4 inches of throw to get
maybe 2 turns of the motor. Maybe you could chop up an automotive
ring gear and weld a section onto an appropriate pedal and add an
adapter to the motor to take the drive gear from the matching
starter. Your pick on how you want to do the ratchet. Alternatively,
maybe a socket adapter and a cordless drill...?
--Glenn Lyford