Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Can your kids drown?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
news

Hello:

This is so sad:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/...uled-accident/

I have installed locks where my grandkids live.

Something to think about.

Where were the parents while the kid was making his way out of the
apartment???

It only takes 30 seconds for a kid to get out of a house and into
trouble. All three of my
children had close calls while swimming, and I had never taken my eyes
off them. My 4
year-old son was playing in water next to the dock at a cottage. He got
confused or
scared, and started walking toward deeper water until it was over his
head. Only took
a few seconds, and if I had been distracted, he might have disappeared.

Daughter, age 10, very mature and responsible, walking on swimming pier
at the beach. I'm way
back, sitting in the shade. Only two swimmers in water because it was
mid morning; we didn't
take hot sun too well. My daughter decided to jump off the pier near
the other swimmers, over
her head. They didn't notice her in distress, but I probably broke a
record for the 40 yd. dash.

Moving day, after dark, lot of commotion with people visiting and
helping. Two year old
toddled across the street, found by neighbor.

Hubby watching grandkids on patio while I go in to check dinner, return
in about three minutes.
3 year old not in sight. Run toward the channel and find grandson lying
on his belly at the seawall, looking
for critters in the water.

My brother and I used to walk to the beach whenever we could - two or
three miles. Best day for swimming
from breakwater was when it was "closed" (no lifeguards) due to high
waves as the water was much warmer then (Lake
Michigan). Brother used to swim until he got tired, and I had to haul
him back. I suppose I was about 10 or 12
at the time.