Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Clutch Pedal Repair - weld up & rebore?

Trevor Jones wrote:

Jordan wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Can you use a bronze clevis pin as a sacrificial part?

That seems reasonable, but:
I have an engine with bronze bushes on hardened rocker pins.
Surprisingly, the bushes seem to relatively unworn, but the steel pins
are badly notched. What's going on?

Dust and dirt embed into the bronze, because it's soft, and proceed to
eat the steel pin a bit, every time the pedal is moved.

It is the basic principle in lapping. Grit embedded in a soft metal,
cuts harder metal.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

And further, since I cannot return to a post to edit it, the remains
of the pin proceed to embed in the bronze, and wear the pin even worse.

In short, replace the bronze bearing, while replacing the pin, as it's
knackered too.

Cheers
Trevor Jones