Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clutch Pedal Repair - weld up & rebore?

I've got a worn clutch pedal to repair. The clevis pin which acts directly
on the clutch master cylinder, has almost worn through the side of the
pedal.

I was thinking of mig welding up the worn hole & then remachining it, but
thought I'd check with the "knowledge bank" here first....

I've put a pic of it in the dropbox:
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/PedalRepair.jpg

There was the remains of a bearing / wear ring in the pedal. It appears to
be hardish steel (magnetic) & is not bearing bronze which is what I thought
it might be.

Would a bearing ring machined from some phosphor bronze bearing material
work? Alternatives? I've no idea what specs the phos. bronze is that I'd
use - it'd be from the local hardware store supplier.

Of course, I'm fitting a new clevis pin etc.

thanks
Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:04:39 +0900, "Robbo" wrote:

[...]

I think Id simply weld up the hole and redrill it, cause putting in a
new bushing wouldnt leave much material. Big question is..how long did
it take to wear like this?

Can you use a bronze clevis pin as a sacrificial part?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Can you use a bronze clevis pin as a sacrificial part?

That seems reasonable, but:
I have an engine with bronze bushes on hardened rocker pins.
Surprisingly, the bushes seem to relatively unworn, but the steel pins
are badly notched. What's going on?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd weld the whole end of the arm proud.
Grind back to original size.
Drill new hole.

You're good to go for at least as long as the first time it took to wear
this much.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robbo" wrote in message
I've got a worn clutch pedal to repair.

What is it out of?

-Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message

"Robbo" wrote in message
I've got a worn clutch pedal to repair.

What is it out of?

-Carl

It's out of a Hino truck, 12 yrs old. I went investigating the "squeak" when
the clutch operated and followed the trail of shiny metal flakes......

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jordan" wrote in message
u...
Gunner wrote:

Can you use a bronze clevis pin as a sacrificial part?

That seems reasonable, but:
I have an engine with bronze bushes on hardened rocker pins.
Surprisingly, the bushes seem to relatively unworn, but the steel pins are
badly notched. What's going on?

Many thanks for the replies Gunner, Jordan, Karl. Sounds like the mig is the
way to go, if I can't get a new clevis assy or pin, I'll turn up a new pin
from a 10mm bolt.

Appreciate the help.
Rob.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jordan wrote:
Gunner wrote:

Can you use a bronze clevis pin as a sacrificial part?

That seems reasonable, but:
I have an engine with bronze bushes on hardened rocker pins.
Surprisingly, the bushes seem to relatively unworn, but the steel pins
are badly notched. What's going on?

Dust and dirt embed into the bronze, because it's soft, and proceed to
eat the steel pin a bit, every time the pedal is moved.

It is the basic principle in lapping. Grit embedded in a soft metal,
cuts harder metal.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trevor Jones wrote:

Jordan wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Can you use a bronze clevis pin as a sacrificial part?

That seems reasonable, but:
I have an engine with bronze bushes on hardened rocker pins.
Surprisingly, the bushes seem to relatively unworn, but the steel pins
are badly notched. What's going on?

Dust and dirt embed into the bronze, because it's soft, and proceed to
eat the steel pin a bit, every time the pedal is moved.

It is the basic principle in lapping. Grit embedded in a soft metal,
cuts harder metal.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

And further, since I cannot return to a post to edit it, the remains
of the pin proceed to embed in the bronze, and wear the pin even worse.

In short, replace the bronze bearing, while replacing the pin, as it's
knackered too.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robbo" wrote in message news:478b56dd$0$30864
It's out of a Hino truck, 12 yrs old. I went investigating the "squeak"

when
the clutch operated and followed the trail of shiny metal flakes......

What might work good here is a thin nylon bushing.

I had a similar problem on an old Chevy step van. There the clutch linkage
had several bell cranks and connecting rods to actuate the clutch, and the
wear in each of these compounded to the point where the only functional
adjustment held a slight pressure on the throw out bearing and caused the
bearing to die a premature death.

I did a weld and re-drill repair that worked very well.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 01:06:49 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

[...]

The picture I see looks like a hammer - but I'd just braze the hole
almost closed, making it as thick as possible, and then drill it out
and put in the pin. Braze makes a decent bearing. Put a bit of greese
on it when you assemble it.