Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is my TV digital?

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 02:14:02p, told us...

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:15:30 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

There's DVD recorders, although they're newer can you can get one with
ATSC/QAM tuners.

Yes, I saw a DVD/VCR combination recorder with a Digital Tuner in one
store. The price was enough to make me fall to the floor and I came
close to having to call 911 for oxygen treatments.

I initially had gone there to inquire if they sold the convertor
boxes. They did not have them, but the salesman was quick to show me
this overpriced thing.

I still wonder why anyone would want to record a DVD rather than a
tape. Tapes can be erased and used over and over. As far as I know,
these DVD recorders are for only one time use (unlike the computer
ones). Maybe that will change in the future, but for now, just
recording a tv show to watch later could get costly for one time use
per disk.

On the contrary, there are re-writable DVD disks, just as there are re-
writable CDs. They are a bit more expensive than once-only disks, but you
can record ~1000 times on them before they begin to really degrade.

I have a JVC combo VHS tape and DVD player/recorder. I can't remember the
last time I recorded a tape. I always record on DVDs, then reform/erase
them for the next time. The recording quality is so much better.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
3 kinds of people: those who can count