Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is my TV digital?

On Sat 12 Jan 2008 09:30:49p, told us...

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 03:15:48 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:58:51 -0600, wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:34:09 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 09:47:38 -0800 (PST), Red
wrote:

On Jan 12, 10:01 am, Kevin Ricks wrote:
Isn't that limited to people who have NO TV source other than
antenna?
Here is a quote from the official web
site:
https://www.dtv2009.gov/

.... but supplies are limited. There are 22.25 million coupons
available to all U.S. households. Once those coupons have been
used, there are an additional 11.25 million coupons available only
to households that solely receive their TV broadcasts over-the-air
using an antenna. Households with TVs connected to cable,
satellite or other pay TV service are not eligible for this second
batch of coupons. Consumers can apply for coupons until March 31,
2009, or until the funds are exhausted. .....

Apparently no one is concerned that the analog VCR's are going to
be obsolete also. As I understand it, they will no longer be able
to be programmed for multiple OTA channels, but limited to the
single channel that the converter box is set to. Correct??
Yes, this is correct. You will have to set the convertor to the
channel you want to record, and can only record that channel, until
you reset the programming or change the convertor channel.

VCR's? Are you worried about your 8-track player and phonograph,
too? Time marches on. At some point you have to make at least a
minimal effort to keep up, or expect to be left behind.
No one really cares about your attitude. If you want to "keep up"
feel free to do so, some of us like things the way they were, and for
clearity, I still do enjoy my vinyl records. If anyone ends up being
left behind, it's people with your attitude, because one of these
days you'll be old and will realize that your whole life was wasted
trying to keep up with the Joneses.

BOYCOTT DTV.gov NOW !!!!!

I have some bad news for you. When your current ice man dies, you are
gonna have to get one of those new-fangled refrigerator thingys.

You struggle far more resisting change than I do welcoming it. And
I'm not anywhere near "young".

I don't resist change, I'm just not in any hurry to go out looking for
it. My obsolete technology still works fine. When it craps out, I'll
replace it with whatever the current technology is. But by all means,
you go ahead and pay top dollar for the latest and greatest. Folks like
you are what brings the price of new stuff down, for folks like me. I
can wait a couple of years to save probably a third on the price.

(Not like I need any more excuses to waste any more time watching the
idiot box than I already do, after all.)

aem sends...

That's exactly what I do in most cases. When my tv dies, I might get
a digital one if they are comparable in price by then. It took me a
long time to get used to CDs for music, but eventually I got one. I
still like my vinyl too, and in same ways, it has a warmer sound. I
too am in no hurry to change things that work. Thats what irritates
me about the DTV thing, it's being forced on us. If they created
Digital and still kept analog, I'd have no problem with it.

I have neither the desire nor the money to "jump" into digital, and am
satisfied with our two 32" tube sets adn a small 15" set. Analog,
obviously. I haven't read much of this thread, and what I'm going to say
may have already been addressed, but it as my understanding that cable
companies such as Cox will still provide converted to analog signals
through their converter boxes. I can certainly live with that. Not sure
what I'll do if there are no analog signals.

Not only do those who must have the latest stuff immediately bring
down the prices, but they keep the economy alive. The advertisers
look for suckers like them, and the credit card companies make a
killing on them.

There's one thing where I resist change, and I will have to admit to
it. I refuse to use Windows XP or Vista. I absolutely cant stand
them. I use 98 or 2K, and thats it. I do get somewhat of a laugh
about all the "got to have it now" folks who bought Vista as soon as
it was released. All I hear are complaints about it now.

I hated 98, but used 2K for a good number of years. I moved on to XP when
my office did because I work at home several days a week and the
compatibility of OS and applications was better through my VPN connection.
I've come to really like XP Pro because I've configured it well and have a
good firewall. I have no plans to move on to Vista unless at some point
there is no alternative.

From a work perspective, I will have to stay with Windows "something", as
they're not likely to go with any other OS or compatible applications.

Anyhow, have a good day....

Oh yeah, I should mention that this thread added a few names to my
killfile, but I wont mention which names, that part is obvious.
Usenet sure has it's share of assholes these days.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Pandemonium doesn't reign here... It pours!