Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default OT dual boot Vista and XP

On 2008-01-12, Dave Hinz wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:58:13 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:
Sense this thread had turned into an OS rant, I'll add mine.

I don't understand all the hubbub over Linix. It doesn't run applications!

It doesn't? Then, I must be doing it wrong.

[ ... ]

Yeah, my employer is doing it wrong too then. If you're serious and not
trolling, what specific apps do you feel Linux does not have? 10 or 15
years ago, your statements might have had some basis but today, not so
much.

Well ... I don't run Linux normally, but I also don't run
Windows normally. I do use mostly Sun's Solaris, and OpenBSD for
various things. And for most things that *I* need to do, the
applications are there.

One exception is when someone makes a product which needs
updating via the net (e.g. my TomTom GPS) they first write their end of
the net connection so it will *only* talk to an application which they
supply. And then, they supply the application only for Windows or
perhaps for the Mac. No such thing as just downloading the software
updates to some other system and then applying it via USB to the device.
(This even applies to the software/firmware which runs the GPS, and
which *won't* run on anything else anyway, so why protect it?)

The other exception is income tax software. I would gladly pay
(somewhat) more to have something which will run on my Suns, even if it
comes in source form and I have to compile it. You would think that at
least Suns would be supported (as commercial systems), even if various
free OS's like the various BSDs and linux distributions were not.

But no -- if I want to run the income tax software (or the
support for the TomTom GPS receiver) on unix, I have to go out and buy a
Mac (which is what I did), since I don't trust Windows as far as I could
throw the heaviest Sun server which I have (which isn't very far. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564