Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne Twayne is offline

Default Is my TV digital?

wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:36:35 -0600,
(Chris)
wrote:

Hello all....not sure where to ask this question but I know there are
alot of knowledgible people in this group so here goes.

I have a 27" Toshiba flat screen (#27AF44) I bought in 2004, it has a
real good picture,. I'm trying to figure out if this televison is
digital or not? I've done some research but still not sure.
I know it has a 3-line digital comb filter, but not sure that makes
it a digital tv?

As we know...in 2009 all tv's must be digital to function with new
digital signal in 09. I have the website to order a digital converter
box but want to make sure if this Toshiba is digital ready or....it's
not?
I would call best buy but figure they won't know or I would get
run-around, they probably don't carry this model anymore.
TIA.

To answer your question, I highly doubt a 2003 or 2004 model has a
digital tuner. If you use an antenna, you will need to buy one of
those add-on boxes. Dont waste your time with Best Buy. All they
know is how to take your money. I quit doing business with that place
years ago, at least as far as electronics. I might buy some blank CDs
or VHS tapes or a cable from them if the price is right, but thats
about all.

As far as this whole change to digital, this whole topic ****es me off
to no end. It goes something like this. The cellphone companies have
run out of air space. They knew that the current TV channels are
their only place to expand. It seems that no one really knows how
much they paid the government to steal our tv airwaves, but I'm sure
it was a sizable amount. The govt. is claiming that they need this
air space for emergency communications, but dont be fooled by their
lies. It's all going to be used for cellphones, so that these cell
companies can make sure that every child under the age of 18 has one
to text each other and cause disruptions in schools. Of course these
cell companies are getting filthy rich from all these kids using their
useless "toys".

Then, one wonders how much the cable and satellite tv companies paid
the gov't to bribe them to make this change. I'm sure they will
benefit in a big way as soon as people can no longer get reception
from their antenna.

The whole thing is a conspiracy, and while the gov't is offering
coupons valued at $40 toward these convertors, the consumer will still
have to pay at least $50 more, unless the prices drop on them. I'd
not be happy if the gov't paid ALL of the cost for these convertors,
because I will still not be able to use my 12volt (and "D" battery
powered) portable tv when I go camping, and I will have to have yet
another remote control to locate at home, and TWO of them will be
required to control the tv.

On top of that, those with numerous tv's in the home will have to buy
one convertor for EACH tv, and you may be paying the FULL price for
each one of them, because the gov't only allows 2 coupons per home.

In addition to this, those who live in rural areas and are already in
fringe areas for reception, (like myself), may find the convertors
will not work at all, and we will no longer have tv. I will mention
that I do not have cable tv as an option either, since it ooes not
exist out here in farm country. Satellite would be my only option at
around $100 per month. I may end up being only able to get the news
on my dialup internet connection, because there will not be any other
connection to the world.

They commercials which they keep airing for DTV.gov claim that digital
tv is so superior, blah blah blah. What they're really doing is
brainwashing us so that we just accept their bull**** without
complaining or protest. The present air waves have been in use since
the beginning of television, and they always worked fine. Now the
gov't is going to steal them from us so that private companies can
profit from them. This is one of the biggest scams of the 21st
century, yet few people are protesting.

If you're as angry as I am about this whole thing, dont just idley sit
on your couch potato ass, and do nothing. We have about one year to
stop this theft of our air waves, or many of us will lose our tv
signals. We need to organize and protest, and do so now. Begin by
going to DTV.gov, and using the "comments/questions" option, where you
can email them. DO email them, and tell them exactly how you feel in
no uncertain terms. I did this a few months ago. I received a reply
email and was just repeated more of the same bull**** lies on their
site. I'm now writing them an actual hard copy letter, and will be
trying to encourage EVERYONE to protest. I'd like to ask everyone to
do the same. It only takes a few minutes of time to email them, and
write them, or phone them, and express your dissatisfaction. Our air
waves are being STOLEN from us. Don't just sit there and let them get
away with it. We've already seen them start a war in our names, under
false pretences, rob our wallets with inflated gas prices, and cause
much more disruption in our country. If we dont start fighting back,
we will soon not even recognize America as it was originally designed,
and we will have less rights than most foreign countries.

You might think that the theft of our tv airwaves is minor compared to
the war, and to gas prices, etc., and in many ways it is. But it's
just another step in losing our rights. What will be next? Will they
start charging us to breathe? That might sound funny, but don't laugh
too long, it might be next.

PROTEST DTV.GOV NOW !!!!!!!

Wow, you're just full of misinformation and BS.