Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Fireproof safe

John L. Weatherly wrote:
I've seen "fireproof" gunsafes at sporting goods stores that seem to only
have drywall lining the walls. Wouldn't a layer of Kaowool in place of the
drywall do a much better job? It keeps the heat IN the forge pretty well.

I realize this would impact the cost a lot; just thinking out loud. What do
y'all think?

Having read most of the posts on this thread it reminded me of looking
into fire safes for protection of data stored on computer storage media.
This brought up the difference between a fire safe intended for the
protection of paper or other items which could stand upto temps of
150C or more without damage, a machinist I knew stored all his gear
cutters in a large old firesafe, and a data safe intended for the
storage of digital media that might be damaged at temps much above 40C.
Does anyone have any idea of the mechanism used to keep the internals of
a data safe at a safe low temp compared to the mechanisms used in a fire
safe which seem to be using the heat taken by removing the water of
hydration from gypsum and the like.

A company I worked for in the past might be in for a shock if the had a
fire as they had the server hard drive in a cheap firesafe on the end
of the ribbon cable, might not have fared well but luckily I don't think
it has been tested.