Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Fireproof safe

"John L. Weatherly" wrote in message
.. .
I've seen "fireproof" gunsafes at sporting goods stores that seem to only
have drywall lining the walls. Wouldn't a layer of Kaowool in place of

the
drywall do a much better job? It keeps the heat IN the forge pretty well.

I realize this would impact the cost a lot; just thinking out loud. What

do
y'all think?

I am a locksmith, and the insulation in fire safes is designed to hold
moisture until heated and then it releases it into the interior compartment
of the box. I had a customer that stored his ammo in a fire file in his
garage.

While he was on a camping trip, the car in his garage had developed a leak
in the gas tank and when the fumes built up to the pilot for the water
heater BOOM!! The garage door was blown across the street and over the
neighbors roof ending up in their pool in the back yard.

His Snap On tools had annealed from the intense heat, but when he opened the
file after the fire, the plastic boxes were not melted in the slightest.

Fires get very hot, the Kaowool type insulation does not serve well in that
kind of heat for the length of time needed.

--
Roger Shoaf