Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Ernie Leimkuhler Ernie Leimkuhler is offline

Default Changing the plug on Welder Cable

In article ,
wrote:

I just bought a used welder which is larger than my old one. The
seller only sold the welder, not his cables. The cables on my old
welder are fine, and are supposedly made for all welders. At least
that is what I thought. For some reason the plug on the Ground Cable
on this new welder is thicker than the Hot one, so the standard cable
plugs fall right out. Yesterday I stopped at our local farm supply
store. They carry a good selection of welding items, and they did
have the thicker plug. I was just going to change it, when I
discovered that I can not figure out how to remove the old plug. I
dont want to break it, because I may want to use my old welder in the
future again.

The cable end has a molded kind of material that is shaped like a
piece of plastic pipe about 3/4" thick and 3" long. There is no set
screw in it, no hole in the side of it, and it does not seem to be
screwed on. Tapping on it does not seem to slide it back. How the
heck do these things come off? I'm guessing there's a set screw under
that molded "pipe" insulator, to take the wire out of the brass plug,
but first I need to get that insulator off and I have no clue how.

Anyone have any idea????

Thanks

Tweco connectors have a set screw, but some others are force fit over
the brass center.
The outer rubber cover can be pried off using 2 flat screwdrivers as
prybars.

It helps to warm the rubber in hot water first.