Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Education--second question

LRod wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:05:20 -0600, dpb wrote:

George wrote:

What's the last book you read? Even better question. Mine is _ A
History of Medicine_ by Lois Magner.

Sherman's _Memoirs_ succeeding Grant's (the latter of which I stumbled
into on a recommendation found in reading Ike, the relatively new
biography)...now I'm ready to try to find Jos. Johnstone's, Sheridan and
wherever that may lead...

Try to find John McAllister Schofield's "46 years in the Army." He was
in the same class at the Point as Sheridan, succeeded him as
Commanding General of the Army, served as Secretary of War, was an
envoy to France, called the Hero of Franklin (TN, Battle of...) won
the Medal of Honor, Schofield Barracks, HI, is named for him. His
brother developed the Schofield revolver.

A shirttail relative, he was born 7 miles (and 115 years) from where I
was.

Schofield was well represented by both Grant and Sherman but Johnstone
for his role as antagonist on the campaign to Atlanta (during which J
Davis had him removed) and then later when he was reinstated struck me
I'd like to read more of his side of the story--then, of course,
Sheridan for his derring-do, so to speak as unattached cavalry to see
what he thought of how it went as opposed to what Sherman thought and
expected. Methinks there were a lot more "aw-sh__" moments than one
might think from this point. Then, of course, that hasn't yet
touched Lee...I've already got Schofield on the list, but it'll probably
be another year or two before I get there--there's only about another
month or so of real winter and then farming picks up again in earnest
(assuming it rains some more this year than last, anyway)...