Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Time to make a bowl (for use in setting a price)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:42:50 GMT, "George" wrote:

Well, as I said, they take less time here, because they're not twice-turned.
I keep my knuckles behind the rest, so I really can't charge a premium there either.

Ah.. I don't twice-turn any more, so that doesn't factor in...
Sort of unlikely that I'll find any green wood in Baja.. lol

The use of my (sorry, it's what it's called) "Mac Mop" for sanding has
really been an asset. I'm even thinking of getting a coarser one this year
to see how it does. Expensive, but they appear to be here for the long
term, and that'll allow me to split the cost over many bowls. You might
want to consider that flex shaft for sanding followed by the mop. One hand
for the wood and one hand on the handpiece makes hand sanding a thing of the
past.

I've been looking at mops and "stars" but still can't see how you'd power sand a
wing bowl.. All I do is tear sand paper or knock off bark..

BTW: by hand sanding, I meant holding the paper in a padded holder while the
lathe spins, though I do some hand or power sanding once in a while after
they're turned..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing