Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Education

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

One of the longstanding bitches about public education has been the
superiority of private educaton: I submit that if private schools had
to take the students that cannot be kept out of public schools, they
would be no better.

Well, the way it has played out for me, our son went to both private and
probably some of the worse and best public schools in the Houston area.
Private schools have one distince advangate over public schools. The
private shcools don't baby sit for the parents, they disipline the child
when that is needed and they are not restricted like public schools are.
Additionally, kids that go to private schools probably have a larger
percentage of parents that are more involved than those going to the public
schools. I can assure you that the small private school that my son went to
also had the less desirable kids but those kids were not allowed to act like
wild indians. My son was friends with one of the less desirable ones in
private school and both went to the same public high school. In the public
school the other boy was expelled often and graduated literally last in his
class. He did well when in the private school. Both of his parents were
much more well to do than we were, so money was not an issue. Both had full
time professional careers and I'd say that their son did not receive the "at
home" attention that he needed.