Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Bit OT. CFLs revisited.

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , Sam Goldwasser
wrote:
"James Sweet" writes:

In my opinion, they should be outlawed world-wide. Period. Suddenly,
just
as the government here in the UK looks set to ban sales of
incandescents,
a movement is rearing up to bring to the attention of the great
unwashed
( and the dumb politicians ) the potential hazards of using,
accidentally
breaking, and safely disposing of CFLs. I sincerely hope that it gains
sufficient momentum to cast enough doubt over this dreadful knee-jerk
technology, to knock its viability as a direct replacement for
incandescents, firmly on the head ...

I don't want to see either one banned. Most any ban is a knee-jerk
reaction
from politicians who know little or nothing about the subject at hand.
There's ways to encourage use of more energy efficient technology where
possible, but there are some applications where incandescent is still
the
most suitable, and some climates where the waste heat they produce is
not
really waste. Likewise, I feel that much of the hysteria over lead and
mercury in CFLs is unfounded, fluorescent lamps are not the only source
of
mercury in the environment, and they are not impossible to recycle or
dispose of properly. I do feel that any store that sells them should
accept
dead ones for recycling though, just as is the case with rechargable
batteries.

How much mercury is there in a single 40 (or 34) watt normal fluorescent
lamp? They are often tossed in the trash to break.....

First thing you hear is CFL's, and nothing about regular fluorescent
lamps.
which are a dominate lamp in the world. Wonder why !!

greg

I guess it's because they are firmly fixed in overhead fittings, and the
tubes, which are uber-reliable compared to CFLs, are not much handled by
kids. On the other hand, when there are zillions of CFLs in every Joe Tow
Rag's house, there's gonna be thicko people disposing of all the dud ones
any which way, irrespective of what the Recycle Stasi dictate, and their
kids, chucking them up walls for the sport...

Arfa