Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Time to make a bowl (for use in setting a price)

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 17:50:52 GMT, "George" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
Also, how much time difference is there in a plain, smooth bowl and a
natural
edge bowl? Maybe 2 or 3 times as long if you count sanding and changing
band-aides?
Will it sell for 2 or 3 times as much? Not in my limited experience..

You are, of course, saying that a plain bowl takes more time than a
rough-edged bowl? Does by almost half where I live. I sell 'em a touch
cheaper, given the time.

I'm doing them wrong then, George..
I can power sand a plain bowl in no time at all..
A lot of the sanding on natural edge or knotty, barky bowls I end up doing by
hand..
I also raise the price every time a wing hits me.. lol

Same thing with pens.. A "normal" pen takes very little sanding, but add beads,
tight shapes, etc. and the sanding time goes way up..

I'm lucky here that I have no competition, so my prices can adjust out to
average longer and shorter labor times.. 2 of the same type pens, one labor
intensive and one normal, sell for $50 each... I could price them at $40 and
$60, but it's a lot easier to make each style the same price and let them
average out..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing