Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jerry wass jerry wass is offline

Default Shearing 18 gage stainless

Gunner wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:15:05 -0800 (PST), matt
wrote:

On Jan 4, 12:36 am, Don Foreman wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 02:17:38 GMT, (Doug White)
wrote:
If you can find a Di-Acro 12" shear, I think you'd be all set. They will
handle 16 gauge steel, so I think 18 gauge stainless would be OK.
I thought so too but it doesn't seem to be so. This stuff is tough,
more like 12 gage mild steel.

If you look at capacity specs for most types of squaring shears,
you'll see that thickness capacity that is quoted for mild steel is
usually cut by 50% for use with stainless.

At LEAST 50%. If asked to suggest/find a shear, I underate by 75%,
because I know they are not going to keep the blades sharp.

Gunner

I had some 1/8" S.Steel sheared to 1" wide strips---watched them do
it-great big ole 10 ft or 12ft shear---This stuff had been rolled so
hard, I tried to mill a small pc to 3/32" thickness---It curled up out
of the vise I was holding--it had so much internal stress in it.

I watched the blades of the press dull while they were shearing it--
you could see the different in the sheared edges from the 1st to the
last shear---about 10 pcs cut---The tensile strength was 113,000 psi.
Bearing strength @ deformation -138,000 psi !!