Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange electric situation - advice?

wrote in message
I installed a new subpanel and several new circuits in my basement and
just recently passed inspection, fired them up, and they work great.
Last step now is to remove the old lights which hang below the joists
so that I can drywall the ceiling. However, when attempting to cut
off power to these basement lights, I successively turned off every
breaker in the main panel, checked the lights, and they were still
on! Cutting the main power to the panel kills the lights, but no
individual breaker (other than the main) does the trick. Any
suggestions?

I see this situation from time to time. Usually where a homeowner did some
electrical work. The problem may be that the circuit is getting fed by two
different circuit breakers. Turn off all of the circuit breakers at the
same time to see if that works. If not, open up the electrical panel and
see if something is tapped off of the main breaker. There may be a sub fuse
box somewhere that you are not aware of.

It is possible that you have a bad circuit breaker that will not turn off.

Let us know what you find.