Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default Faux Stone Backsplash with vinyl tiles?

In article , h says...

"Howie" wrote in message

Why not just put up the same wallpaper you're using on the rest of the
kitchen?

I don't know, I guess I think that a kitchen counter isn't finished
until there is a backsplash installed (up the wall)...

In my kitchen, the "backsplash" is the 8" of countertop material installed
vertically at the back of the counters against walls.

Which is one way to finish off nicely, and just have wall above it. Although
Howie probably has countertop already installed without it...

The wallpaper is
installed above that. That said, we don't have any upper cabinets except
over the fridge, so it would look extremely odd to have anything other than
wallpaper. I don't understand layouts that allow for upper cabinets. Don't
they block all the windows and doors?

You must not be in the US - here it's rare not to have upper cabinets. The
kitchen is laid out so that there is sufficient wall space for the upper
cabinets. Windows and doors fit in between where necessary (like over the
sink.) Indeed in the '70s and '80s upper cabinets might be installed between
the kitchen and a dining or family room. Nowdays a lot of those are being taken
down, though, for a more open feel.

Banty