Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faux Stone Backsplash with vinyl tiles?

The link below shows what I'm talking about:

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-US&bran...a-7bd6a0578fcf

Anyone care to comment? Would this look "cheap"? The wall above our
kitchen backsplash is a bit uneven, would this vinyl look "ok"?

Any other tips / advice / comments or suggestions?

Howie
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-US&bran...6-029c-411b-a1...

Anyone care to comment? *Would this look "cheap"? *The wall above our
kitchen backsplash is a bit uneven, would this vinyl look "ok"?

Any other tips / advice / comments or suggestions?

Howie

I just did that in about 10 apartments and it looks great but I used
sheet flooring that looked like stone so no seams to come loose, there
are alot of realistic looking stone patterns out there I also
continued it above the cabinets and put a 4ft flourescent light on top
of the cabinets, its the cheapest way to make it look like thousands
more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 12:04 pm, ransley wrote:
On Jan 5, 10:55 am, Howie wrote:

The link below shows what I'm talking about:

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-US&bran...6-029c-411b-a1...

Anyone care to comment? Would this look "cheap"? The wall above our
kitchen backsplash is a bit uneven, would this vinyl look "ok"?

Any other tips / advice / comments or suggestions?

Howie

I just did that in about 10 apartments and it looks great but I used
sheet flooring that looked like stone so no seams to come loose, there
are alot of realistic looking stone patterns out there I also
continued it above the cabinets and put a 4ft flourescent light on top
of the cabinets, its the cheapest way to make it look like thousands
more.

so you used linoleum flooring? and flooring adhesive?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 10:55 am, Howie wrote:

The link below shows what I'm talking about:

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-US&bran...6-029c-411b-a1...

Anyone care to comment? *Would this look "cheap"? *The wall above our
kitchen backsplash is a bit uneven, would this vinyl look "ok"?

Any other tips / advice / comments or suggestions?

Howie

I just did that in about 10 apartments and it looks great but I used
sheet flooring that looked like stone so no seams to come loose, there
are alot of realistic looking stone patterns out there I also
continued it above the cabinets and put a 4ft flourescent light on top
of the cabinets, its the cheapest way to make it look like thousands
more.

so you used linoleum flooring? *and flooring adhesive?- Hide quoted text -

I dont think linoluem is made much anymore, it is Linseed oil base. I
used sheet vinyl, the squares are sheet cut into squares and floor
adheasive. Use squares if you wish just pick the best pattern and
color that matches what you are doing, Take home samples first and see
how they look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Howie says...

The link below shows what I'm talking about:

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-US&bran...a-7bd6a0578fcf

Anyone care to comment?

Yeah, I would.

Would this look "cheap"?

And how.

When I bought my house, the kitchen backsplash was vinyl sheet flooring. It was
a tile-like pattern, and looked sorta OK from far away. But the problem is -
one standing at the counter is fairly close up to the backsplash, vs. looking
down at the floor, and the 'fakiness' of it is more apparent. And the cook
(e.g. - *me*) got to look at it a lot close up. It's gone now.

There's nothing wrong with good old wall with a semi-gloss or eggshell paint
finish to make for cleaning. Neat and simple. I'd leave it that way rather
than put plastic all over the wall.

Sorry....

Cheers,
Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 12:44 pm, Banty wrote:
In article ,
Howie says...

[...]

so what made it look "fake"?? the seems between tiles? Poor
application?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I dont think linoluem is made much anymore, it is Linseed oil base.

Linoleum is still being made and installed.

http://www.armstrong.com/resflram/na/linoleum/en/us/

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...202857,00.html

The OP was probably just referring to vinyl sheet goods improperly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Howie says...

On Jan 5, 12:44 pm, Banty wrote:
In article ,
Howie says...

[...]

Well, look at it. As much as they try to closely replicate a tile look and a
grout-line look in vinyl, it's not quite the same. Not the same texture to be
sure, not quite the same shine or texture, not the right contrast between the
shine or semi-shine of the tile vs. the dull or sandy grout. The programmed in
'imperfections' are inevitably too regular and periodic over the distance
someone using the kitchen sees.

The installation was OK - the problem is that it's simply not the real thing.
When you're close to it, you know it's vinyl. And you're close to it if it's on
the wall in front of where you're working.

I note that one person in this thread who said it worked fine had installed in
rentals for *other* people to look at. But your question was whether or not it
looked cheep. It inevitably does because it's not the real thing.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Banty says...

In article ,
Howie says...

On Jan 5, 12:44 pm, Banty wrote:
In article ,
Howie says...

[...]

Furthermore (again from experience), consider that the only way to change this
out would be to install vinyl over it again, or rip out the sheetrock and start
all over. Of course that's true for other backsplashes, but it goes against
this being an inexpensive temporary solution.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 11:51 am, Banty wrote:
In article , Banty says...

In article ,
Howie says...

On Jan 5, 12:44 pm, Banty wrote:
In article ,
Howie says...

[...]

How about finding a vinyl tile pattern that emulates the pattern of a
ceramic tile with the grout lines on the edges? I was thinking that
maybe this "ceramic look-a-like" could be put on in a diamond
orientation ... just a thought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Howie says...

On Jan 6, 11:51 am, Banty wrote:
In article , Banty says...

In article ,
Howie says...

On Jan 5, 12:44 pm, Banty wrote:
In article

,
Howie says...

[...]

Same problems, sorry. The backsplash I had *was* one with a pattern that
emulated tile with the grout lines, etc. There's just a limit as to how well
that can be done in a plastic.

Now, if it's your house, and it's good enough for you, fine. It's not that it's
*impractical*. But it's always going to be nothing other than tile-look vinyl
flooring up on the wall.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 11:55*am, Howie wrote:
The link below shows what I'm talking about:

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-US&bran...6-029c-411b-a1...

Anyone care to comment? *Would this look "cheap"? *The wall above our
kitchen backsplash is a bit uneven, would this vinyl look "ok"?

Any other tips / advice / comments or suggestions?

Howie

Why not just put up the same wallpaper you're using on the rest of the
kitchen?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Why not just put up the same wallpaper you're using on the rest of the
kitchen?

I don't know, I guess I think that a kitchen counter isn't finished
until there is a backsplash installed (up the wall)...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 8:22 pm, Howie wrote:
Why not just put up the same wallpaper you're using on the rest of the
kitchen?

I don't know, I guess I think that a kitchen counter isn't finished
until there is a backsplash installed (up the wall)...

1. I found this link: http://www.moredecordiy.blogspot.com/

- a pretty neat idea...

2. and this one: http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/...2/m/7541010413

- more discussion on this idea...

comments?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 10:05*pm, Howie wrote:
On Jan 6, 8:22 pm, Howie wrote:

Why not just put up the same wallpaper you're using on the rest of the
kitchen?

I don't know, I guess I think that a kitchen counter isn't finished
until there is a backsplash installed (up the wall)...

1. *I found this link: *http://www.moredecordiy.blogspot.com/

- *a pretty neat idea...

2. *and this one:http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/...2/m/7541010413

- *more discussion on this idea...

comments?

Everybody says no but nobody has seen it, what a joke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 10:17 pm, ransley wrote:
On Jan 6, 10:05 pm, Howie wrote:

On Jan 6, 8:22 pm, Howie wrote:

Why not just put up the same wallpaper you're using on the rest of the
kitchen?

I don't know, I guess I think that a kitchen counter isn't finished
until there is a backsplash installed (up the wall)...

1. I found this link: http://www.moredecordiy.blogspot.com/

- a pretty neat idea...

2. and this one:http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/...2/m/7541010413

- more discussion on this idea...

comments?

Everybody says no but nobody has seen it, what a joke.

Ransley,

So have you seen it? If not, what do you think of the idea?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Howie says...

On Jan 6, 8:22 pm, Howie wrote:
Why not just put up the same wallpaper you're using on the rest of the
kitchen?

I don't know, I guess I think that a kitchen counter isn't finished
until there is a backsplash installed (up the wall)...

1. I found this link: http://www.moredecordiy.blogspot.com/

- a pretty neat idea...

2. and this one:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/...2/m/7541010413

- more discussion on this idea...

comments?

Well, Howie - since you seem to have your heart set on it, do it! It's your
house, no?

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , h says...

"Howie" wrote in message

Why not just put up the same wallpaper you're using on the rest of the
kitchen?

I don't know, I guess I think that a kitchen counter isn't finished
until there is a backsplash installed (up the wall)...

In my kitchen, the "backsplash" is the 8" of countertop material installed
vertically at the back of the counters against walls.

Which is one way to finish off nicely, and just have wall above it. Although
Howie probably has countertop already installed without it...

The wallpaper is
installed above that. That said, we don't have any upper cabinets except
over the fridge, so it would look extremely odd to have anything other than
wallpaper. I don't understand layouts that allow for upper cabinets. Don't
they block all the windows and doors?

You must not be in the US - here it's rare not to have upper cabinets. The
kitchen is laid out so that there is sufficient wall space for the upper
cabinets. Windows and doors fit in between where necessary (like over the
sink.) Indeed in the '70s and '80s upper cabinets might be installed between
the kitchen and a dining or family room. Nowdays a lot of those are being taken
down, though, for a more open feel.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

darcijj had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...es-279575-.htm
:
The vinyl tile would look okay.. I did it.. I have a pic I can send you..
however I learned one thing.. the tiles will slide down the wall
eventually..so what I should have done was put a vinyl tile adhesive on
the wall.. let the adhesive dry until it is tacky.. and then put the tiles
on. I did that in my foyer over a waxed vinyl floor and the tiles never
moved. Also.. you should caulk the seams, looks like grout.

-------------------------------------
Howie wrote:

The link below shows what I'm talking about:

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-US&bran...a-7bd6a0578fcf

Anyone care to comment? Would this look "cheap"? The wall
above our
kitchen backsplash is a bit uneven, would this vinyl look
"ok"?

Any other tips / advice / comments or suggestions?

Howie

blinds- wood vs 'faux' or vinyl mel Home Repair 7 June 22nd 16 08:44 PM
Faux Stone Lintel Ian G UK diy 3 September 4th 07 05:57 PM
Matching faux stone outside house Alex Home Repair 4 April 17th 07 01:20 AM
Matching faux stone outside house Alex Home Ownership 4 April 17th 07 01:20 AM
Stone tile backsplash installation [email protected] Home Repair 3 March 31st 06 01:36 PM