Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Are spindle adapters safe?

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 08:56:49 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:

For the bowl chuck, make sure the insert has the grub screw to latch
it onto the spindle. Then you can reverse sand without activating the
automatic chuck ejection feature.

Damn... Never thought of that.. lol
I've never had a reversing lathe before..
Definitely something to consider, since I do about 90% of my turning with the
chuck...

I had the same quandary. I relegated the oldest one to buffing. The
middle one sat in the way for a year until I gave it to my brother.

Yeah.. the mini is about to be traded off for an ironwood log, but I'll replace
it soon... I do working shows and the 14" Jet is kinda hard to carry..
If I was in the States, I'd try to sell my jet 1442 for maybe $500, but the last
thing I want here is someone else with a lathe.. I don't want competition..

It's going outside for the dirty work like bark and stuff, and will probably
become my buffer....
I'm guessing that once I get the new lathe, I won't want to spend much time
turning on the old one..

I noticed the comments on the link you gave--the adapter is not hollow
all the way through. You would have to drill it out to use a vacuum chuck.

Good point...

I may drill it if I go with a spindle adapter, but I'll probably just make new
vac chucks for the Nova.. Just a matter of a few new nuts, since I have a life
time supply of 1" 8 tpi ones, and a few chunks of wood..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing