Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Are spindle adapters safe?

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 22:50:12 +0900, Alan wrote:

OK, I don't have a Oneway, mine is a Woodfast Cobra and when I
upgraded to it from a cheap pole lathe with 1" x 8 to the Cobra's
M30x3.5 ( Cobra was sold in USA with 1 1/4" x 8 tpi.) the dealer
simply replaced the 1" adapter in my Vicmarc chuck with the M30. No
problems. In the unlikely event that I further upgrade to a Stubby I
expect to get a screw-in adaptor to fit.

All the quality chucks I have seen have these adaptors available, this
may be your best way to go. I make my own faceplates, weld a M30
nut on a steel circle, drill holes for screws, true with an angle
grinder. Yours would be 1 1/4 nut instead of M30

I understand the adapter thing, Alan... my Oneway chuck was originally on my
Shopsmith.. (5/8" shaft with set screw)

My problem is that if I change the adapter on the chucks, I can't use them on
the other 2 lathes any more..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing